Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you best approach the Apex.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by raven, Oct 6, 2009.

1. There hasn't been much heavy thinking going on around here lately, and since we'll all be hitting the corners again soon...It's time we got our thinking caps back on..

Scenario::
    Average good road...good right hand corner coming up...assume it's good for a sporty 80k's. You don't know it like the back of your hand, but it is familiar to many other similar corners you've been through before.
    Assuming you've picked the "correct" apex...
    ...how are you "setting-up" to traverse that apex optimally?...what is going on inside your head?

John.

2. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that the right answer?

3. up right with a bit of luck :idea:

4. Late. Always aim for a late apex. More room for FAAAAAARRRRRRKKKK if you get it wrong/something else happens.

5. normally flat out 8-[ with a bit of rob's technical lingo thrown in for good measure :rofl:

6. All right, I'll bite.
    As far to the left as possible well before the corner. Pick a turn point. Shift weight to right. Brake and change down if necessary. Make sure no gravel at turn point. Look through corner. Aim for late apex and kick it in at turn point. Inside my head I'm saying wait, wait, wait, ...now.

7. Approaching corner..
    Look at corner, mentally assess where the turning point is (late and wide), once decided look 'through' corner, visually searching for apex. Keep turning point in mind, use periphial vision to watch the turn in point.

Select appropriate gear as necessary

Set entry speed using brakes (and engine braking)

Wide approach to corner, (to maintain visibility)

Neutral throttle (cracked on ever so slightly, but neither decelerating or accelerating)

Shift rider weight onto pegs (maintained throughout the corner) and shift body weight as appropriate (most influential for me is leaning forward as it gives much more leverage).

Maintaining vision through corner, tip in at predetermined point

Once lean angle is established, progressively and smoothly roll on throttle - just enough to attain correct F/R weight distribution

Once at the exit of corner, roll on throttle smoothly

?

8. Very Funny!!:LOL:

I also close my eyes. Which is great for looking for the corner exit. Not...

9. The main thing I'm thinking is, "Where is the apex?"

On public roads, most of the time, it's a matter of "waiting... waiting... there it is!". I rarely know a corner well enough to fully commit until the exit comes into view.

All of the things Twistngo and Phizog (and others) have said are part of the scenario, but mostly my attention is on looking for, firstly, the turn-in point and then the preferred apex.

10. Not much at all.

11. If I can't see the exit, I'm not thinking 'sporty' at all. Expect oncoming traffic at the worst possible moment.
    Like they all say, apex late to give yourself plenty of room on the exit.

12. I'm thinking about what glove to take off first, probably the most important decision of the day....alternatively:

I am thinking, how can I maximise my vision through that corner and not expose myself to additional risk. Riding as close to the left as I can, I can then see better into the corner and, if an apex is clearly defined, take my trajectory from that. If there is traffic, or it does not look obvious, I'll will pick a point for the apex and move it to the left so I am not hitting cars....I will use that as my point to aim for.

Having seen the apex, I can work a turn point, an approximate entry speed and whether I can achieve the speed either through braking or rolling off the throttle. Depending on the speed and how 'aggressive' I am feeling, I will either adopt the position, or stay upright, more or less in line with the bike. Having an apex, a speed and a turn point, I can now make the appropriate steering input. If my plan works, a constant pressure on the right bar and a small throttle input and I work my way through the corner. In one piece.

13. Well I'm still learning on my P's but I'll have a try, because the twisties are so awesome :).

This is what I do, though I don't do all of it consciously; I don't go over the process in my head (not anymore anyway).

In gear, braking done; do not need to touch my clutch or brakes through the corner assuming no unforeseen obstacles.

Throttle neutral.

Shift my weight back on my seat a tad, get my legs on the right spot on the tank so I can grip a little with my outside leg, push a little harder on the pegs with the balls of my feet - seems to help out my suspension and ability to shift my weight.

I usually aim to start the corner with a very light counter steer just before (say 3 meters) before the point I need to start the turn in. As soon as I 'flick' the bike into the corner (literally with my little VTR250 :D) I then try to 'open' my hips and look where I'm going.

To answer the "what is going on in your head?" question I'd say the majority of my concentration is on choosing the point where I should turn into the corner and the speed at which I should be going based on how confident I am with the corner radius, visibility, camber and possible obstacles on the road.

14. Some hilarious bloody responses here!...ahahaha...
    Plus a few good sensible answers attempting to cover the whole picture...

But I'll leave it a bit longer before I stick my face back in with the kinds of things I was hoping to hear, to give others a bit more time to chime in if they want to give their thoughts.

Hint...the answer is simpler than you think...I think..:))

John.

15. It's a right hand corner so you'd dangle your right foot, right?

16. I approach an apex very slowly and downwind from it.

17. :LOL:

18. lol rob funniest thing i read all day

but just to be serious ..... does this vocalization continue through the entire corner.....
    or do you sort of decrease as effort is redirected to defecation ....... then increase volume again as you exit ......
    :squid::squid::squid::squid::squid:

19. I don't really think about it I just do it...does that make me bad?:-s

20. No… But you ride a KTM Hooligan machine and that does make you bad