Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do you adjust brake lever position

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by HB, Nov 25, 2011.

1. How do you adjust brake lever position-solved

I had my brake lever replaced last Friday as the knob on the end got knocked off in the gravel at the Chocolate Mill. Took it to City West Yamaha in Hoppers Crossing (100kms round trip so I didn't have to go to PS in Geelong) and they set it for a gorilla. I'm only 152cm tall and could barely reach it with my fingertips.

I wasn't able to get there before the workshop closes at 4.30pm (wtf) so had to just collect it from showroom. There were 2 kids serving who I don't think have had to shave yet as well as a couple of younger kids running around, more like after school care so wasn't able to get anyone to adjust it.

Had a real brown pants ride home in the storm, hit me hard all the way from Lara to my turnoff past Geelong.

There isn't much free play from full extension to when you start to feel the brake grabbing, so not sure how to adjust myself, any suggestions.

Not happy $630 bucks (service & new chain) and don't feel safe for me to ride.

Update 3/12/11-took bike back this morning to City West Yamaha, after got a follow up email with them during week and spoke to them on phone.
    They adjusted the lever so that pressure only started to apply on the brakes at a point where the first knuckles could bend. This was done while I was sitting on the bike. It's a lot more comfortable know. Even made me a coffee why I was waiting. So although initially not happy with their response, they did fix it.

2. Hi HB, I did here about one incident on the run, sorry it was you..
    Now on the handle, you should be able to see what looks like a disc/wheel with numbers on it? when you rotate this, it will creat 'play' or 'space' what ever you want to call it, it will allow you to have freeplay before your brakes are engaged. Now if they are setup a little 'tight' at the moment, sit on the bike and 'feel' how they are before you change anything, make 'small' changes and test the brakes out in a quiet street or car park and test the response to ensure that you have enough 'grab' at slow and fast speeds as well. No good finding out that you should have adjusted less when you find yourself in an emergency!!

just read how much you paid for service, I would take it back and let them earn their keep

3. It would probably help to know what make and model is the bike

I think you might have been slightly out-braked with that service cost too :shock:.

4. I did email them my feedback about the brake lever and got this response

"The replacement lever would have been positioned to its original setting but as you have pointed out that doesn’t work for you. We should have asked you at the time about positioning because bikes of your vintage do not have brake levers that are easily adjusted by the rider as is the case with more modern bikes."

My translation - stiff you're a short arse riding an old bike, but if you want to risk life and limb and ride another 50kms we will adjust it.

Had a brake lever replaced before by Greensborough motorcycles and it was perfect, shame they were less than a km from where I used to live in Briar Hill.

5. If the brake lever has no adjustment, then I suggest you google 'dog-leg levers' and see if you can get a replacement...

6. Some bikes have an adjustment on the levers, some don't. If they have an adjustment it is usually in the form of a little disk at right angles to the lever, round about where the lever pivots. By rotating the disk in or out, you can move the lever closer or further from the bars. If you don't have anything like this, then probably your levers aren't adjustable.

Have you checked your owner's handbook to see what it says?

You can also get adjustable after market levers for some bikes, where you basically dial up how close the lever is to the bar.

7. Fall to the right

8. $630 for service, a new chain and a new brake lever is daylight robbery, i could probably do the same thing that they did which is install the lever, chain, set the tension, change the oil and filter, tighten a few bolts and give the bike an up and down go through. all I'd ask for is a hot chocolate, a piece of cheesecake and maybe a hug lol :p (of course I would need the parts)
    and I'd set the damn lever correct for you if it is adjustable. if it is way too far out and it wasn't before, then I'd say it is adjustable.

9. The lever that they put on looks like the same as the one that was on there before and the same as the clutch lever.

Goggling suggests it is a dog leg type, there is no wheel for adjustment only a bolt and screw. I have undone these and tried to move the lever closer, it moved a bit but not enough for my comfort.

I do have small hands - small size ladies gloves are loose, so I have kids gloves but never had an issue before with the lever.

10. Pity you're in Dandenong. A friend of my daughters rides a Ducati and does some work on his bike himself. I've always been a bit hesitate to get car or bike repairs done by a "backyarder" but when you pay good money and get this kind of result, makes me wonder.

11. I'll bet it does.
    Was your bike second hand? May be that it got dropped by the previous owner and the lever bent backwards.

12. It was second hand.

The seller said it hadn't been dropped........??? Doesn't matter cause both myself & my daughter have done slow motion falls to the side, nothing at any speed, pretty much like my performance heading out the Chocolate Mill in the gravel.

The lever that was on it before last Friday was one I had put on last December. I used to live in Briar Hill and my driveway was on quite an angle uphill. I used to have to ride up to the top and then back in through the side gate to put the bike under cover and out of sight as the garage wasn't big enough for the bike and the car. When I was backing in one time I looked around to see I was lined up and nearly toppled over. Caught the end of the lever on the pailing fence and the knob broke off. The guy at Greensborough Motorcycles replaced it with a lever similar to the one City West Yahama have used.

The main difference I noticed last week was as soon as I stretched my hand out to reach the lever it started to grab the brakes before I was even able to bend the first knuckle. Previously my first knuckle would just bend over the lever when resting on the lever.

After undoing the bolt and screw and then tightening it back up, it moved the lever closer but the as soon as I squeeze the brake is applied. It also seems tighter, there isn't any gradual application to the brake.

Would have taken it back to them this morning to adjust but with all the rain, didn't want to risk it. That's why I was hoping there was some way I could do this, thought I must have been missing something.

13. That's how the brake lever got broken in the first place. I was heading out of the car park on the Chocolate Mill group ride. I was expecting the rider in front of me to go out on to the main road when we had a break in traffic, but they didn't go as fast as I was, hence brakes applied a little to quickly and being on gravel the bike just slide from underneath me. Fortunately I didn't impact on anyone else. The knob on the end broke off.

14. HB, it sounds as if they've replaced your brake fluid & you may have had some air/water in there before, this can only be a good thing.

See if you can find some aftermarket adjustable lever to suit your bike.

It's not daylight robbery Kernal, it's what business need to charge to stay in business.

You don't know what they did as part of the service, what else they replaced, what brand brake fluid/oil they used, I'll wager you don't even know what their labour rates are; so please don't go around making blatant, ill informed statements.

For everybodies sake.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sorry I was blind. Had fun tho
    When you go to buy a new lever get two. And a clutch lever. And put them under the seat if you can.
    When you know what your doing it's a five minute job. Or being stuck out the middle of no where.
    If your brake and clutch are hydraulic make sure the plunger part of the new lever fits perfect. If it's too long by a bee's dick it will drag the front brake.
    You wont notice it really till your doing 100 down the freeway and it gets very hot and locks up.
    So when you fit it always make sure that one. You have brakes. And Two the front wheel is free wheeling before you ride off.
    There ya go ... hope that helps

16. Of the bill $340 was labour - 3.50 hours
    In parts I was charged for gasket,oil filter,o ring,o ring chain, front & rear sprockets, oil, chain lube cleaner, brake fluid - no brands mentioned.

The description of what was done must be their generic general service as it also includes "check brake lever - adjust as necessary "- wouldn't have needed checking as this was replaced and as said in opening adjusted for a gorilla and not mirror image of the clutch setting, and "lube chain & clean" - lube maybe but clean a new chain??

17. all I will say is that you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

okay well that sounds just about worth $640. actually that's not too bad really.