Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do tyres warm up?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Haggismaen, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Although it's nearing the end of winter and becoming perhaps less than an issue I'm still interested in this.

I get that riding along, the friction between the road and the tyre causes it to heat up, and thats all well and good. But I've seen it written that a professional rider is able to get a tyre running a lot hotter than your average rider, what causes this? Is it harder braking? Carrying more speed overall?

Are there anything a rider can do to cause a tyre to heat up before reaching some twisties?

Enlighten me.
  2. Weave the bike from side to side as you ride along. But not too much that you fall down. :cool:
  3. accelerator, brakes, and weave.
    using these in the on or off position will warm your tyres quicker, and hotter.
    gentleness will not.

think of a cross section of the rubber in your tyre. as seen below, the bonds that hold the molecules together are not stressed.

now you are gassing it, or weaving, or braking hard and they are feeling stressed.

it is the friction, of the relative stress and movement of the rubber to return to its natural position that generates extra heat.
    your tyres will wear quicker :)
  4. #4 flexorcist, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  5. If your talking about professional riders as in track riders.

They use a "tyre warmer" think electric blanket for your tyres.
  6. my understanding of the OP was how to generate more residual heat in your tyre whilst riding. the warmers are good to start, because you get them up to performance temp much quicker.
    its all about the elasticity of the ploymers used in the compound. the more softer tyre->more movement in the compound->more stickiness->heats up quicker.
    harder tyre->more rigidity in the compound->less stickiness->heats up slower, and dissipates heat quicker too.

but how much heat you can develop whilst riding is mostly dependant acceleration (negative or positive acceleration) which is done by accelerator, brake, or changing direction.
    hard line acceleration will produce warmth, and so will hard braking.
  7. In its simplest terms, on the track you should be able to stress the tyres way more than you can on the road by virtue of the higher speed and therefore greater forces experienced in cornering. This greater stress generates greater heat.

Weaving doesn't gaurantee warm tyres. I remember reading that it's possible for weaving to leave tyres colder on average than they'd be via working your speed up gradually through twisties... even so, I still do it!

For kicks, slalom through a sweeper... that'll get one side of your tyres warmed up alright!