Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do rear sprockets bolt to wheels?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by trd2000, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Or more specifically... The stud things that the sprocket bolts onto, how do they screw into, or attach to the wheels?

I noticed one of the nuts was spinning when I cleaned my bike today, I tried to tighten it and realised the whole stud spun... It wouldn't tighten or loosen so I guess there's a trick to it..... Do I need a special tool orrrrr????
  2. Looks like I may be referring to sprocket carrier studs..... And they may be marchesini specific.

Friggin Italians.
  3. Maybe it's a cush drive thing, rubber torn?
    You'd have to take the sprocket off to see whether the studs just go into the aluminium hub, or whether they're in rubber inserts.
    My KTM has Marchesini wheels and the studs are in rubber inserts and apparently the chop out over time and need replacing.
  4. Yes, it's likely to be an aluminium cush drive (dual side swingarm?). Need to pull the wheel off and the cush carrier should fall out. There are slightly different arrangements but it may be the stud pushes in from the back. You'll have to see what the problem is.
  5. Whole stud spinning? Could be a few things: Stud could be broken (did you try to pull it out with the nut attached?) Not bad news as a new one may be easily fitted. They are sometimes a splined, interference fit, and can be knocked out with a suitable drift then a new one driven in. Hopefully the splined part of the carrier isn't worn!!

Some studs are a loose fit which again push in from the inside and have a flat on them which stops them from turning when you tighten/loosen the sprocket. There's also the chance this flat has worn the actual carrier it sits in, allowing it to spin as you found.

6. http://www.af1racing.com/store/prodimages/st2/table_39-77.jpg