Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do people Check and fill there tyres !

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Cobes71, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I am having issues with checking and filling my tyres at service stations.
    For several reasons:

As my CBR600F has dual discs at the front I am finding near impossible to get either the pre - set type filling line or the one with a guage in to check or fill tyre.

Also am unsure if I believe the pre - set one as it always seems to suggest the tyre pressure is right. And beeps as soon as it is connected. When I disconnect it air escapes from somewhere, which makes me a little unsure if it is from the tyre or bleeding from the line.

My questions are :

Is there a trick to it all?
    How does everyone else do it ? ( Especially CBR600 riders)
    Are the little compressor types for cars useful and or accurate?

The little maintenance jobs seem to be killing me. Are there anymore basic maintenance days scheduled as I think I read that there was one.
    Because I am not mechanical at the best of times, and know nothing about bikes. It is becoming more obvious that I need to know how to conduct the basic maintenance.

Does anyone run a basic maintenance course?

Thanking you all in advance

May it always be sunny. With the road long and twisty.
  2. Sometimes helps to use the double sided air pumps, like at servos there are two sides you can attach it to, makes it easier to fit on.

As for maintenance, can you clean adjust and lube you chain properly, change engine oil and filter, check / clean air filter, change spark plugs, etc? If not someone you should join in on the next spanner day.

Also the owners manual should have info about doing all of the above and if you want another set of eyes I can come help. I've done all of the above on my bikes so sure could provide some insight.
  3. Yup. I bought a compact compressor designed for 4wds from Supercheap which works well and seems pretty accurate. I've tested it against a couple of expensive tyre pressure gauges and it's pretty close, certainly a lot better than those servo things. I just run it from one of those 12v jumpstarters (also a handy thing to have in the shed ;)). Only paid around 70 bucks I think (it was on sale), definitely worth the money for the convenience of being able to check the tyres before riding anywhere.
  4. Thanks Phizog

The next spanner day, sounds like the go. ( Owners manual in hand )
    How often are they run?

However I shall keep you in mind next time I have an issue. Are you going on Wednesday night to Terry Hills?

5. I shall get one then

Sold thanks.

I shall get a car compressor then. As the servo's are giving me the shits anyway.

6. Re: I shall get one then

Well, that's one way of doing it, I s'pose. Just be prepared to wait a while as it pumps its tiny heart out. Unless, of course, you go for a full size air compressor with its own receiver. In which case you'll still be waiting for it to build up pressure.

Or, you can source a right angled tyre valve extension and carry that in your jacket pocket. It's what I use and it works a treat.
  7. Where did you get yours from

May I ask where you got yours from. As this sounds like a good idea also. As I could take this away with me on trips.

8. I only remember 2 happening in the year I've been on the forum..

I can't make it tomorrow, working. But when uni goes back I should hopefully be able to make it since I finish too late to get to work.
  9. I have the large compressor setup in garage
    (to run air tools stuff and the tyre gauge..best thing I ever bought)

the 12R has bent stems and it is an easy check with
    a decent airhose and gauge

10. I had one, it was good for pumping, but crap for accuracy. You need to
    be really accurate for a bike as tyre pressure makes a BIG difference to handling and to tyre life (i.e. your Wallet!)

Yes it is very tricky. I use the digital-preset types only and I have to hold the nozzle onto the valve stem with a firm pressure, otherwise it does not seal properly (i.e. if you just put it in place and trust the clip).

Buy a good quality gauge and keep it at home or in the bike if you can.
    If you keep it in the bike, wrap a little foam or bubble wrap around it.
  11. Hi Shane,
    My Kit includes my own tyre pressure gauge (cause I never trust the servo's gauges to be accurate) and a 90 degree elbow fitting for the air valve on my bike you can buy them usally from a good bike shop

My bike has twin disks on the front too and it's also hard to get access
  12. As usual Thank you to all

To All,

Once again Thank you. :)

As usual the troops have come thru again.

I now know what to look for, ask for, and buy.

Am still keen on a spanner day !!! Hint, Hint, Hint :wink:

13. I bought a pair of L shaped tyre valves for my bike cos the spokes make it almost impossible to get to them otherwise. Cost me about $7 for the pair at my local bike shop.
  14. By the way I don't leave the elbow fitting in place as it may cause air to leak which aint good just use it to put air in and then take it off
  15. You will also lose half a psi as you remove it.

Remember to check the tyres when cold with a good, pencil type gauge. Dial ones are usually not as accurate (due to the dial mechanism).

Bunnings sell a rechargeable, pistol type air compressor for $59. They work great, altho if a battery fails as on mine, until you replace the bad cell it won't have much capacity.

They come with a short, flexible hose and a screw adaptor which allows you to get into any sort of tyre valve situation. They will easily fill a tyre from flat with the one charge.

Trevor G
  16. It's naughty I know, but in desperate circumstances, a judiciously applied SteelBlue has been known to bend a servo wand into a shape that allows access.

Not that I would ever condone such wanton vandalism :grin: .
  17. Phark me -has no one heard of a good old fashioned tyre pump? Not one of those stoopid foot thingys, but the upright tee handle hand pumps. Only about 10-15 bucks & will add 5-6lbs with only half a dozen pumps. In about 1/3 of the time you would spend pissing about with compressors, hoses & fittings. I check mine before every ride -the tyres are cold & you get a consistant reading every time.

PS Don't get those screw on angled valve fittings. They will throw your wheel balance out by heaps and add more places to loose air from. Next time you get tyres fitted -get the tyre fitter to install some proper 90 degree tubeless valve stems.
  18. Yeah, I have one, just make sure you get one with a GOOD ACCURATE gauge on it. Mine has a sh** gauge and I have to check with a seperate gauge.

Correct, but well, you're not supposed to LEAVE them on while you ride...

That's the ideal solution, sadly those are very hard to find these days. If you know a source, let me know and Ill get a few sets for all my bikes for the next time they get tyres. I'm sure a lot of people here would too.
  19. I have a compressor at home with a good quality Jmec-pem air gun. I have the type that has the hose with the single fitting. I have that many tyres to check here i thought i may as well set myself up with one at home. The type at the servo with the twin head will not go onto the ZX14.. Its a pain to get the one i have in but it does go on, just have to get as much hose vertical as possible. And those ones at the servos that are automatic, hold down on it whilst its pumping air, dont rely on the little locking thing.. :grin:
  20. Hmmm. I haven't had any trouble finding them. Not to say that they're easy to find though :grin: :grin: I got mine from Road & River in Newtown Geelong. Haven't got their number or address however. Pete has some nice lightweight Aluminium ones that work a treat & balance up real nice.

PS I don't even bother with the gauge on any sort of pump. Just get yourself a 1/2 decent gauge & carry it with you. It's not really the precise pressure you're after -more a consistent reading. I simply adjust pressures to get the best compromise of grip, feel & tyre life.