Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do I start doing track days? What I need?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by nethern, Nov 8, 2011.

1. I am thinking about doing some track days. Can someone tell me how I start? What do I need to know and buy?

BTW, will any bike insurance company cover track days?
  2. I dont think you can get insurance for track days in Australia, very inconvenient :(

All you will need is a leather suit (one or two piece), gauntlet style gloves, motorcycle boots (not short ones) and a helmet. Just tape up your headlights and mirrors or take them off and your good to go.

Where is your nearest track? what state are you in?
  3. Nope if your just doing track days No Insurance
  4. dont forget a back protector.
  5. Really? There's nobody out there offering track dayinsurnce?
    I know the risks would be higher but then so would the premiums... surely there's a market opportunity there for one of the companies.

hey SHANNONs you are supposed to be about enthusiats are you paying attention !?
  6. lol. . . Love your enthusiasm, but we are talking about insurance companies, yes? ](*,)

What I'd be more interested in is whether TAC would cover personal injuries sustained on a road registered bike on private property that was NOT engaged in competition or time trials.
  7. Just drag yourself and the bike onto the road out the front...
  8. Pretty sure thats correct. if its road registered then its covered, same as if someone stacks a bike on thier own property its covered as long as its registered
  9. nethern - start reading this thread https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=113852

Also in regards to insurance. When I was getting a quote for my bike, house and car with Shannons, they said they can only cover race bikes if something happens during transit or gets stolen (home/race track/car park/etc)...but nothing on the track. If you stack it on the track, put it on the trailer and push the trailer over and say someone backed into and left without a note...
  10. Q, How do I start doing track days? What I need?

A, Plenty of money
  11. Very true, with the number of tracks closing, more of these organizers are charging an arm and a leg.............i blame the stupid government more interested about road scare tactic ads and the blame game instead of having people getting their jollies in a relatively safe and legal way as well as more rider ed.

So yeah..............takes money.

Also make sure to have plenty of fluids or one of those gatorade powder things to keep you hydrated, its also cheaper than buying food and drinks at the track.
  12. I'll offer you insurance on your bike property and gear only. Premium for Track Day Date only is 120% of the dealership ticket price on your bike brand new with a 5% annual depreciation of that figure. This will include your clothing and protective equipment. There is no death or personal injury cover included or implied, nor is there any third party or third party property cover included or implied.

13. Track days = self insurance on bike & gear.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  14. I don't understand how people can afford to take their newish bikes to the track, even if you are careful you can have someone else take you out.
  15. pretty sure they are banking on not crashing, its called a gamble.
  16. more of a calculated risk thing.

another thing that ride days say you cant do but you should do is time your laps when you get serious. just have a phone in your pocket and some timing software like racechrono on it.

great data.
  17. Yeah I know but I would freaked about someone crashing into me. That's a big gamble.
  18. +1.

That is all.
  19. You are insured on the road or at least you can get insurance if you want.

Are you saying people don't run into other on the track?

You might crash a lot on the track but you can't speak for me.
  20. the only time you have to worry about getting run into is in the slow noob groups where they all just wobble around and get spooked.