Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do I remove the fuel tank of a Suzuki Across?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by marts92, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Hey guys, after taking off the fuel tap in my fuel tank, I found a thick layer of fine rust deposits around the snorkel tubes.

So I've decided I want to take out my current tank and replace it with a second hand one I've gotten from the wreckers. Its in much better nic.

Seing as the tank doesn't come out upwards, I tried dropping it down and then pulling it out (taking off the wheel, disconnecting the swingarm from the rear shock assembly) and it still doesn't want to come out because the rear shock is still in the way. I don't want to muck around with the rear shock assembly as its too much of a job to put back together for the sake of removing the petrol tank.

The rear subframe is welded on and I can't find a way of removing it without getting out the angle grinder :mad:

So for all those Suzuki Across owners or anybody that has had experience with the fcukers... how does it work?

2. search for a manual, usually has all the info...
  3. all the service manual had was "remove tank by removing the mounting bolts.."
  4. have you removed all the plastics round the ducktail? I would think there will be some tabs on around the sides of the tank that bolt to the rear sub-frame
  5. yeah the whole bike is stripped of its plastics. already undone those tabs and still no luck :(
  6. I've called up some wreckers and its confirmed that I have to dissemble the rear shock assembly just to drop out the fuel tank
  7. Oh man that sounds like a pain in the arse.
    Have fun with that one.