Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do i open Publisher Files in Frontpage????

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Kyzmos, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hi there,
    A friend has given me a copy of some webpages he created in Publisher, and i would like to know how i can open them in Frontpage, i have tried everyway i know.

Thanks in Advance :D :D :D :D
  2. can you actually do that.....

not very fluent in Frontpage but publisher is a desktop publidhing tool (kind of) meant for printing documents. Frontpage is a web design tool (again kind of) i think one of the programs would have a import or export function. Other than that...it could get very tricky if aty all possible

Of course i could be spitting cr@p as i never use these pragrams at all......spend all my time up to the armpits in network cabling and routers

3. My fingers are crossed :D :D
  4. i know next to nothing about either of these (adobe all the way for me) however going on what drew has said, try copying the HTML code from the publisher files and paste it into frontpage - should do the trick ;)
  5. Not actually sure it can be done. If you have publisher you can save as a webpage but all this actually does is turn the whole Publisher page into a gif image and then creates a html page displaying that gif image. I've heard newer versions of publisher are a little more advanced than this and actually create some code. I'm almost 100% sure you can't cross edit with publisher and frontpage though.

If you have photoshop or fireworks you can take this gif image and slice it up and then create a proper web page. If you got any trouble PM me, web develop'n is my job so I can probs help ya out.
  6. best off listening to patske. (print design i could have helped out with)....

why anyone would create web pages in publisher is beyond me though...
  7. yeah publisher shouldn't be regarded as a web-design tool. Then again I wouldn't regard it as a desktop publishing tool either
  8. but c'mon... i can get the girl on reception to design the new company brochure in MS Word and Publisher - why would I pay a graphic designer to do it? :LOL:
  9. yeah I guess, kinda like me at my work, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing here I get asked to do so many random things.
    I design newsletters and brochures in photoshop and then just export them as pdf's using acrobat professional.
  10. Yup .. publisher is not a HTML tool. You cant open publisher files in Frontpage, and expect to edit the file. The only things you can do (which maybe what you are trying to do?) is use frontpage to create a hyperlink to the publisher document so that people can download the publisher document?

11. OK folks. As far as I know you cannot open a publisher file in Front Page.

In Office 97 the Publisher program was still used for web page design and web publishing.

When Office 2000 came out, the web parts of publisher were dropped and Front Page was made instead.

If you do not have Front Page, you can use PowerPoint. It has Web publishing etc in it. It is quite good to use. The SA MRA site is made using PowerPoint. I can recommend it.

I am about to learn how to use Dreamweaver. I have played around with it and dont like it much. Still I might get enlightened.

I always use Front Page and it is a very easy to use WYSIWYG. You do not need to know any code at all. The only time a bit of coding is good is to play with the meta tabs to enhance the spiders ability to locate specific data. You only need to know where to write the plain English stuff into the meta tab area.

I know my site is not much, but you can have a look and look at the source code. Any constructive critic of the site is welcome.

12. did the person send you a publisher file and tell you to make it into a web page, or is it HTML?
  13. that is if dreamweaver is even around for another version - with adobe buying macromedia things are going to get interesting :?

can anyone say 'monopoly'? how about 'microsoft'? :LOL: :|