Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do I help this new rider? *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by VFR750 IRYDE, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Should I beat him senseless and as he wakes up in the emergency room say 'Get some TRAINING' (Mr T s

2. Should I leave him to his own devices and make a pre-application to the Darwin Awards for an honoura

0 vote(s)
  3. Should I steal his keys and hide them till he racks up some K's on a smaller bike?

0 vote(s)
  1. *UPDATE*

He dropped it. :roll:

Trying to mono. :roll: x2

He still has chicken strips big enough to feed a family but he thinks he's got what it takes to pop wheelies no worries.

I havent seen the bike yet, but it's still rideable but apparently VERY scratched.

Perhaps the damaged ego from riding a dropped bike around will be good for him.

Hello all, I'd like to throw a problem out to the infinite wisdom of the NR community. :grin:

I have a workmate who recently became unrestricted. He NEVER owned a learner bike, and has ONLY ridden during the Learners course.

He went out and bought a brand spanking new CBR600RR. :roll:

Nothing wrong with the BIKE, (actually I'm jealous!) but EVERYTHING wrong with HIM being on it.

He has scared himself enough already to know that he has much to learn about riding. (he wobbles around roundabouts, too scared to lean over) :shock:

He now *finally* acknowledges that he needs help in learning to ride,

He and I are heading out on some casual instructional rides as soon as his 1000K service is done.

I'm no expert either, but with a couple of years, 20,000Ks and a HART advanced course under my belt I'm certainly able to pass on some wisdom.

HOW do I teach him? WHAT am I looking for? What do I NEED to drill into his head and what can I let slide for the time being?

There are a BUNCH of new riders at my work, with more people getting bikes every month, so this is going to be a persistent problem for me.

Is anyone willing to join some (yawningly slow) rides with him and others to help reduce the likelihood of another 'rider down' or worse yet, RIP thread?

2. Get them on NR and hook them up on the mentors thread. There's sooo many years worth of experience on NR to tap into.

Otherwise talk them into signing up for some courses.
  3. Get him along to one of the Tues night rides. Sounds like his attitude could be the first learning obstacle he'll have to get over though.
  4. Convince him to restrict his throttle or retard his timing until he learns how ride safely. Then you may unleash the FULL POWER OF THE DARK SIDE. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  5. Just tell him to take corners slowly and calmly, and he should be fine. The CBR600RR is a pretty revvy/peaky bike (although not compared to some), it won't fling him off. If he bought a litre bike, I'd be more worried.

I reckon being too oppressive will only push him away and be counterproductive to your efforts.
  6. If he is really that wobbly, start him off in quiet streets and car parks and let him do laps (clockwise and anti clockwise) till his wobbles stop. Practice the basics - turns, stops and gentle throttle control. Don't forget e-braking practice.

When he gets some basic skills get him out into quiet traffic. As he co-ordinates his riding skills with road craft slowly build up from there.

And tell him to read and practice the advice in the stickies in the New Rider Forum

It's hard to judge without seeing him but from what you've said wouldn't suggest the Tuesday ride bcause it sounds like he doesn't have the skills to get there safely.

VFR750 IRYDE said:
    This is not a persistent problem. It's a persistent opportunity for you to help other new riders. :)
  7. Send him up to Armstrongs for a ride practice under propper instruction using their bikes (Like pre learner day)

If he's that incompetent, what level of first aid do you have?
  8. Introduce him to this website, after a bit of a read he will see just how serious his actions are. Just take him out as often as you can and really watch his riding styles.

Explain how he should ride and pay attention to all road users, lane placement and understanding road conditions. Teach him how to manage the bike through though tight corners and explain how to use the back break to stabilise the bike.

This guy doesn't live in frankston does he? :) a dude next door all of a sudden rides a CRB600RR and I've never seen hime ride b4. although he appears to be very stable on the bike.
  9. He just needs to ride more.

Go out with him at night when the roads are quiet.
    Stick him in front of you/the pack, and make sure he knows to only ride as fast as he's comfortable with around the corners, and you're all happy to go at his speed.

It's just practice and experience.
    Sure he can go do a superbikes course, if he wants to get his knee down, etc - but if you want to be good at going around corners: practice going around corners.
  10. wot Ktulu says,
    I would encourage him getting some training too

11. The only knee-down action he'll get is when he falls off.

Those courses can't help him because you need to be a confident rider
    who knows the basics of riding before attending any advanced course.
  12. ktulu is so full of shit....
    kick yer mate in the bawz!
  13. +1

Don't force him to go faster than he is comfortable with. Tell him to ride within his own comfort zone. Don't push him to go faster and tell him not to chase you, rather have you follow him and tell him that you aren't putting any pressures on him to faster than he is capable of :)
  14. You missed out an option on the Poll

Mind your own business
  15. Re: How do I help this new rider?

:shock: You mean to say that the ONLY time he has ridden was during his learners then licence course?? TWICE ever? Now he holds an unrestricted licence .. If so That's INSANE. He may as well have got his licence from the back of a weeties pack.
    Hope it's insured :roll:

Oh so finally a reality check !

10 points for wanting to do the right thing by your mate!
    With your experience, You have much to offer.
    As others stated, I'd begin with the basics, in a parking lot or deserted estate. You have your work cut out for you.
    Balance .. Slow Riding, Braking, U-turns, Figure-8s, Steering, Head position ( look where you want to go ), THEN out in trafffic for some roadcraft etc..
    The finer points of riding ( ie body position/leaning/corenring lines ) may not be so important until he can actually 'ride' with a little confidence.
    Too much info too soon may only confuse him.
    Good luck :wink:
  16. There are courses for people moving from a 250 to a a powerful bike. I'm pretty sure HART have one here.

Granted he's never ridden a 250, but see if you can find a similar thing.

Sounds like your mate has something wrong with him though. I would think that one ride on a bike like that would make him shit his pants and learn to ride properly.
  17. Its a 600 not a Hayabusa...

You've already said he realises he has a lot to learn, so just tell him to take it easy and help with advise where you can. Wobbling a bit through roundabouts is better than him hitting them at 80 trying to get the knee on the deck!

Some people here need to calm down a bit with the whole ride a 5hp bike for 20 years blah blah crap!
  18. +1 for getting him to do some slow work in quiet areas. Tight work like u-turns and slaloms will help him develop clutch and throttle control and build his confidence in leaning the bike over. Also, suggest he get some oggy nobs to protect his fairings should he drop it. I'm sure the thought of smashing up his nice new fairings is adding to his fear of leaning the bike over.
  19. My mate just got a 900 (ZX9R) that he hasn't ridden yet, but he hasn't ridden a bike in over a year and he's only ever ridden a 250 on his Ls and I suspect hes only ever clocked up about 2,000ks...

He admits that he's worried about the power etc but there's no need to get all preachy to him, I keep reassuring him that if he keeps a clear head and is smooth on the controls he will be fine. As soon as he gets it registered i'm gonna take it out and scrub the tyres in for him and make sure everything feels right then we'll just go out and simply 'ride' and if I see him doing something bad give him some pointers. I've just got to control myself to ride nice and sensibly and not show off etc because I don't want it to turn into a pissing contest. I have no doubt that he'll be fine and he'll be hitting the twisties with me in a few months.

20. That's because minding my own business is NOT an option when it comes to my friends safety.

Since 2001 I've had three different phonecalls telling me that friends of mine had died on the road. A total of five people. Four in cars, one on a bike. The oldest was 31, the youngest just 13. None of them were drunk, none of them were speeding, none of them were fatigued. They were killed by peoples mistakes. Sometimes their own, sometimes the person coming the other way.

The thought of a fourth phonecall telling me that my mate is dead, killed by incompetance that I could perhaps have helped him with if only I hadn't minded my own business, makes me sick in the pit of my guts.

Sorry for the strong reply, Hornet, but I'm rather passionate about it.

Thanks everyone for the pointers and thoughts. We'll head our for some rides after work over the next few weeks before a bunch of us (about 13) go for a leasurely cruise through the victorian backcountry in late November.

Hopefully he'll be able to take corners by then. :?