Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do I cut a chain?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Sidney, Sep 10, 2008.

1. hey

I bought a new set of sprockets and a chain for my bike. The chain is too long and I need to cut it to length.

The chain is a standard D.I.D

I am using an angle grinder, ive seen people use them before. But how does using an angle grinder get the pin out of where you want to cut?

Should I be cutting here
    Photo568.

or here?
    Photo569.

or neither?

If anyone in adelaide wants to help me out please post haha

cheers

2. I much prefer to use a chain breaker rather than an angle grinder, I suggest you try and borrow one from someone local.

3. Buzz the heads off the TWO rivets that hold one of the side plates on, and then you can push rivets out the other side with the other side plate.

4. cheers man that worked perfect

5. But unless you're using a chain with a split link, you'll need a chain maker to connect them together. Most chain breakers can also join the rivets as well.

6. Or you can use a clamp arrangement to compress the side plates. The joining link has a hollow end in each pin which allows them to be peened over and secured. This is usually done in situ with the joining sections of the chain on the rear sprocket.

You need something solid like a heavy mallet or hammer behind it to absorb the thump from the punch and hammer when you peen it over is all.

7. Just in case no one said it ...Dont use a circlip, flare the ends with a chain fitting tool/breaker ..And if you do cut it with an angle grinder cover the chain with a rag to keep the good links free of grinding dust and metal or you will end up with a fine grinding paste in your rollers..

8. but if you are as good as i am with a ball pein hammer, the chain breaker/flaring tool is redundant.
    i grind them off, and pein them shut. never had a failure.

9. Nope, no-one thought to mention it...

10. yep, lucky he was on it :LOL:

11. Cant say Ive tryed that Must be fun doing that on the bike ...I had the chance to make a chain breaker at Tech school on the lathe's and Ive used it ever since I think its the only thing I still have from my school days that worked.. :LOL: