Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do I CONVINCE my parents to let me ride?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by squidman, Jul 6, 2011.

1. How do you guys reckcon i get my parents to let me ride, what happen was my parents agreed to let me get a bike thats been run down and needs fixing, now that the engine is running smoothly (big thanks to my dads mate for making that happen) and the body is repaired and painted it just needs the finishing touches till i can get rego for it, but my parents said i have to wait till im 21-22 to actually go for my Ls im 19 atm, thats what the agreement was but now that the bikes pretty much ready for the road i really wana start riding, they rekon ill be mature enough to ride when im 21-22. I know im mature, I've been watching every youtube video out there on body position and target fixation and that you have to assume the car infront of you will brake suddenly or change lanes without indicating so you have to keep yourself prepared always. i've also read tons of articles on how to ride and reading about peoples riding experiences and near misses on the road and how some of them coul have been prevented easily.

im desperate to start riding, convincing my mum will be a mission coz shes very over protective and she rekon il kill myself lol please help me!
  2. Do you earn the cash to finance this proposed habit?
    If so, I don't see what the problem is...
  3. dude... you're 19. Unless they're going to outright boot you out of home, just go get your Ls.
  4. Personally I dont think you'll be any more mature at 21 than you are at 19. Im sure there is some scientific survey out there to prove that. Problem is that argument can get you stuck until you are 25 or something!

Good luck, Im 31 and Im not sure how to tell my mum that I ride...When I started smoking I was open and honest about it, no problems, but this motorcycle business....its tough!
  5. I had the same problem when I was your age. While I lived with my parents I had to respect their wishes, when I moved out I then couldn't afford a bike.

I was 38 when I got my bike and they still weren't happy.
  6. where do you live? You could come down to one of the practice sessions and talk to some folks. Then get them to come down too. Tell them that you'll do all your riding with experienced riders until you're confident.
  7. You're over 18 and given you are paying for it, your parents can no longer control your life. Make your own decision. They will learn to live with it, eventually.

However, if you are looking to your parents to finance it, then you're screwed.
  8. My folks found out I had a bike when I rode over to their place and parked it in the backyard. Admittedly I was 25 and not living with them, so perhaps it was easier for me.
  9. Our son didn't know he was getting a bike until we booked him in for his learners.
  10. :? Umm what's stopping you? Unless their financing your licence and registration just go and do it. It will show much more maturity than asking permission...

I had friends that asked similar things of their parents and it baffled me. Once you're an adult you call the shots.
  11. They wouldn't have allowed the bike at all unless they would allow you to ride it. Get all the gear then tell them that you are only going to ride it on Sundays when the traffic is light (this will make you look responsible), do that for a month then step it up to Saturdays, then weekdays.

I was lucky my Dad rode when I got my licence, and my Mum rode up till when she was pregnant with me so she couldn't say much.
  12. As said....

You register for a course and go and do it. You do not tell them.

You arrive on said bike in front of them. Don't ask for permission. Just do it.

Especially while you are at home - as others pointed out it is too hard afterwards. I mean seriously, they might be annoyed but what else will happen?

Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness afterwards than permission first.
  13. you just have to talk them round mate...

Personally, my family, my fiancee and my fiancee's family were all against me riding however they weren't given a choice. As I was living out of home, i need some form of transportation and the fact of the matter was, I couldn't afford a car.

I also softened the blow by explaining a few "motorcycling truths" with them. My favourite one: 95% of motorcycle crashes happen in the front 30% of a rider's vision. Namely, riders hit stuff.

if it is just the "you'll die!!!!" argument, maybe quote some facts. Like the number of motorcyclists has doubled in recent years, but the number of accidents has stayed the same... That is, we have become much safer.

EDIT: ps. Just don't get kicked out of home over it!
  14. Your parents are right. If you were mature enough to make the decisions necessary to control your own life you'd be doing so already. When you're ready, you will not need their permission.
  15. Thats the main reason i cant ride because "ill die" lol, yeahh maybe i should just get all my gear ready and try talking to them honestly about it and tell em ill only ride sundays like one of you mentioned, if that dosnt work **** it ill just go and get the bike registered and book my learners course! thanks guys wish me luck!
  16. I shouldn't say this, being a parent and a grand parent, but...

I stopped doing what my parents told me when I ran away from home at 15. If you'd told me at 19 that I had to convince my parents that I was mature enough to do anything, I'd have fallen over laughing. A child needs his parents permission to do things. An adult does things and then tells people what he's done.

"Mum, Dad, we had a talk when I was younger, and I made an agreement that I'm not going to keep. I've just gone and got my license, [show them] and now I'd like to have a bike. Ideally, I'd like to ride the one that Dad and I worked on, because it's a family share / quality time thing for me, and I'd be very proud to ride it. But I need your permission to do that. The alternative is that I get my own bike, and I'm ok with that too. I figured it would be the respectful thing to do to discuss this with you before I went out and signed the finance papers. They had a nice red xyz250 at the yamasaki shop. What do you think looks better - red or blue?"

The point is, this IS what's about to happen. I'd LIKE your blessing.

It might also be a good time to think about moving out. I can tell you, it rankles to have a person living under your roof who does his own thing and lives by his own rules and mostly doesn't do what I tell him. It's not unreasonable to say "You live at home as my child dependent, or live somewhere else as my independent adult son. I'd be happy with either one, but you will not live here when you will not do what I say, while you eat my food, watch my TV, and use my stuff." Being an adult means having the freedom to do what you damn well like, but it also means you lose the safety net of childhood. Sometimes you need to make hard decisions.
  17. Nothing to see here. Above posts covered everthing I had while I was writing it. Though I did work in a kitten reference...
  18. So you want to go back on your agreement?
    their house their rules mate.
    Do you have a drivers license? Do you have the finances to register and insure the bike?
    In the meantime get a car license so you can get the feel of traffic so that by the time you are 21 you at least have some road sense
  19. I paid for the bike with my own money, i actually had to sell my 1994 honda integra to buy this bike lol, i just have to buy my own safety gear which might take a while since im strapped for cash atm
  20. Agreements can be modified.

But your point on "Their house, their rules" is valid. I tell my kids "My house, my rules" regularly. Along with, "If you don't like the rules, you know where the door is."