Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do Deus bikes actually ride??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Carnaby, Oct 1, 2011.

1. They look amazing etc, but I can't seem to find any idea about the actual ride and performance of the Deus range, including how they compare to the stock models. Anyone who's been on one - I'd love to know your thoughts on how the model you rode goes...

2. They are for posing around cafes on. Not for hard riding or speed. Thats just how it works, if you want to have classic looks and speed you will need something like the Ducati sport classic or the triumph thuxton.
  3. The Deus model kinda works like this:

- They buy cheap SR400/500 engines and others very cheap from Japanese wreckers and grey import for a few hundred bucks.
    - They fabricate a frame and parts on the cheap, then put it all together. This costs them all up about ~$2000 ish.
    - Now add a lick of fancy paint / gold parts / deus sticker and put a $21,000 price tag on it.
    - Market it to the hip urban Sydney crowd with high disposable income
    - Bingo!

Unconnected said it best. If you want a bike that looks fancy and sounds meaty, then get a Deus: I promise you'll look amazing while you sip that latte at that little cafe in Paddington. If you want a bike that gets your heart racing, handles like it's on rails, and is built for riding, then get just about anything else. $20k can buy you a lot of bike that's not a Deus.

I frequent the cafe a lot, good food but expensive (i guess is everything is that shop!) But they do market to the hipster crowd when it comes to their bikes, hell even their tee shirts are now being worn by non riders (read: hipsters) who have no idea what DEUS is.

The guys above have said it right. Hell i go in the bike section from time to time to check out the cafe bulids coz i love modded bikes, and the maority of 'shoppers' you see roaming the bike area are all suits, presumably looking for a toy.
  5. Most of the people who ride them are just a pack of deusbags.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. I guess some people value style and exclusivity as much as (or more than)performance and are happy to pay for that.

You guys who are paying out on Deus, have you actually ridden one? Didn't think so.
  7. I've seen a guy on a dues carve up some twisties once. He looked like a pretty good rider though.
  8. I'm paying out Deus, and yes I've ridden one. I rode one of their 'mono' bikes (see pic below). It sounded sexy, it looked badass, but handled like ass. Very twitchy and had no real feeling of being connected to the machine. A colleague of mine bought one of their Triumph thruxtons that had been heavily modded. He owned the bike for a whole month before selling it again - is that any indication?

The mono:

9. It may have been one of the Deus guys testing out a finished product?
  10. This is conjecture,I once travelled to a wedding in a 1930 Rolls Royce,this was in the bush and I expected a soft comfortable ride,it was in reality just like a leaf sprung truck from the 1930s,rough as guts.What do you think someone would say if after years of saving and looking they bought a 1950s Vincent,do you think they would be honest or continue with the hype.And this is coming from someone who rides a 35 year old Italian
    superbike,which actually is fantastic.But thats after years and years of money and expert sorting.Just adding a tank and seat doesn't do much for to suddenly make anything handle better,bit of weight off helps a tiny bit.
  11. I got rounded up by a guy on an SR500, when I was on an FZR600.

Which isn't exactly a lofty achievement, but it shows with the right build you can ride them reasonably aggressively. Obv stuff like extended swingarms and firestone tyres are not an appropriate build if this is your intention.
  12. Twitchy or nimble, dull or solid if you want to know test ride, its a personal thing.

Anything that has more people riding can only be a good thing in my eyes.
  13. Imo they are riding for the wrong reason. not to enjoy the bike or because they really enjoy riding. but because they want to advertise themselves as being trendy and hip. They dont care about riding well, or portraying a good image of the motorcyclist in the community.
  14. Think about those bastard cyclists, numbers speak louder than actions.
  15. This says a lot coming from a chronically broke tight-arse: Deus bikes aren't that expensive for a brande-custom bike (an oxymoron, I know, but you should get what I mean). I suppose performance depends on the model, but yes an SR400 with clip-ons is a nimble bike and a lot of fun in the twisties and, No, a simple 400 single with cheap factory suspension does not compare to a high performance engine or suspension.

But then that's not why people ride them. My Hornet 600 felt like a superbike (re engine and suspension) compared to my 33 year old clapped out SR500, but I sold it because I found it so utterly boring by comparison.

Anyway, this is a topic that's been threaded a number of times.
  16. Oh, and Carnaby, if you're still interested in getting an SR and doing something inspired by Deus (as per older your posts), talk to QuarterWit, who bought a cheaper stock bike from them some years ago, cafe'd it, but more importantly has spent $$ on suspension and an engine rebuild (doubled the hp at the rear wheel) and produced a bike that is utterly fantastic to ride, the most wonderful bike I've ever ridden, for less than a Deus bike.
  17. I do like the looks of the Deus bikes but hell's teeth, $20k? $15k or thereabouts will get you one of these:

Edited to add: Mind you, custom bikes are probably like custom software. People tend to be surprised when they find out how long it takes to develop good software, and how much good developers charge ...
  18. Pretty much. Even when you've been doing it a while and have the parts sources and techniques nailed down, there's a minimum of a couple of hundred man hours in a bike like a Deus. Take a (very) lowball $50 an hour and you're in $10k for the labour alone.

And I'd quite like to know where I can get all the bits and the base bike to build something like Deus turn out for $2k, 'cos I just totted up what a historic race bike based on a bike I already own is going to cost me for much the same array of parts as Deus builds comprise and it's not $2k, or even in the same postcode.
  19. Also in the $15k price range, is my dream bike to cafe:

20. Deus make cafe racers...they look sweet but are basic bikes..there's nothing actually wrong with any of them..as with all bikes it depends on the rider. Their base models are decent and their mods are top notch and top dollar for a custom bike..anyone who says otherwise doesn't get the cafe scene. This is not about performance anymore because technology means that the bikes which were stripped down for racing in the 50's-70's are now obsolete. They are old fashioned bikes for people who love the look of a classic naked bike from 40 years ago- as a result your not going to get the handling of a modern bike- what you will get is a real motorbike that will go plenty fast enough to kill you. Heaps of people make cafes in their garages for half the price but why not buy if you have the cash for it and don't own spanners. Check out DOTHETON forums cafe build and look up cafe racer on wiki- its actually a creative scene for real motorcyclists - deus supplies a need and sells the dream..all power to them. Hell I'd ride a deus down to my coffee shop. I like women and motorcycles and coffee. lol