Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How do adjustable heated grips work?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by tonee, Jul 1, 2014.

1. I've purchased ATV heated grips instead of motorcycle grips so I can't fit them on the throttle tube.
    The set I bought has 4 heat settings, however does anyone know how the settings work, what happens as I increase the numbers? Does in increase the current or something?

tus_12_han_gri_hea_kit_wit_mol_gri_dig_con.

I'm asking because instead of throwing away the set I've got, I'm thinking of buying a set of heated pads that wraps around the handle bar under my stock grips. However I'm not sure if I can use it with the adjustable heat controller.

$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fB(IIBSErw1I,Q!~~60_12.JPG

Thanks!
    Tony

2. I would say most of them would work by Pulse Width Modulation there are good reasons in controlling simple loads. If you are going to replace the heating elements in the grips you need a load of similar resistance. Get a multimeter and measure the resistance of the grips and then find pads that are similar. Note two resistors in parallel of the same value halve the overall resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Probably pulse width modulation, which should work with the wraps, as long as the wraps have about the same resistance as the grips.

Edit: Chris beat me...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks guys! Save me throwing away my perfectly fine set. Hopefully it'll work =]

5. Do you think your current grip would actually fit with any extra thickness i.e the heating element? can't you exchange the mistaken grips you bought for motorcycle ones?