Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How did you not see that??!!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by modern_ninja, Dec 13, 2010.

1. I had an interesting ride to work this morning. This thread is a bit similar to gxxr.thou's Emergency Brake thread... It features commodores! Well, half a commodore now.

Riding along minding my own business in the left hand lane, the truck in front of me throws the anchors on. Hard. Instantly my vision switches to other lane (the right hand lane) as I would have to stop fast (not uncomfortable though) if I stay in the left hand lane, so I'm thinking, merge and go round... avoid a possible rear-ender by the car behind me. Uh oh, car next to truck is breaking hard too... Merging is impossible, without lane-splitting two slowing vehicles at 60ks an hr and their ain't that much room. Then my vision moves further up the road:

In the other lane I see a cement truck cleaning up a commodore.

How can you not see that??!!

And it wasn't a case of: i can make that gap and the truck has to brake hard... The cement truck didn't even have a chance to brake before impact. The cement truck just plowed straight through the commodore, knocking it over the median strip. The driver brought the cement truck to a halt about 20m down the road.

Now, this has left me in a bit of situation. Can't merge, the truck in front of me is almost stopped and i've got no room do anything. I reckon i've gotta go from 60 to 0 in about 25m. Emergency brake...

The back end locked up and was dancing everywhere, the front was shuddering bad, meanwhile i'm keeping my eyes up. One eye on the steel bar on the back of the truck infront of me, one eye on the drama up ahead in the other lane.

All in all, I think I did really well. For a learner. My "experience" put me in a bad situation, not wanting to brake and wanting to merge to avoid the car behind me giving me a rectal exam... But then my "experience" allowed me to stop real fast. I ended up having a couple of metres to spare I stopped so fast. Luckily, the cager behind me was switched on, saw everyone on the brakes and jumped on theirs. I found my reactions outpaced my thoughts through the e-brake though. As the back end stepped out, I managed to steer through it whilst staying on the front brake.

Anyway, I'm ok. Commodore driver was ok (he looked like he was about to cry when I rode past) and the Cement Truck driver was ok and looked ready to snot the commodore driver one :) .

Stay Upright,
  2. Whoa-ho! Good stuff on avoiding that one mate, could've been nasty for sure.

Theres some bloody crook road users about, was sitting behind one who was gesturing with both hands while they were driving along with a friend. Couldn't believe it.

Cheers - boingk
  3. ~Nice~Work~ MN ... well done :)

4. Chance or no chance that truck driver is in a whole world of trouble me thinks. It doesnt matter what the commodore driver did, that truck should have been able to stop and not tailgating. Great move Ninja glad you came out of it unscathed.
  5. Sounds like he just cut him off.

Good job on not locking the front. You can never have too much space in front.
  6. I think the OP is saying the car pulled into a gap between a car and a cement truck, that was only just big enough for it to fit in. Then he slammed on the breaks to stop because of other drama, and the truck hit him. The truck wouldn't have even had time to adjust his following distance.
  7. Grace under pressure - nice one Ninja!
  8. Ohhhhh, well in that case. Theres always plenty of tailgating trucks and cagers cutting everyone off. Lucky no one was seriously injured. Hopefully the truck driver have witnesses, it seems like he was more of a victim in all these. Without witnesses to back up the truckies story then the police/insurance/commo driver could easily claim tailgating.
  9. Hey guys,

Bit of clarification.

Commodore was in a side street (i think) and tried to cross the road to the other side to go in the other direction. Cement Truck Driver had nowhere to go. The gap wasn't big enough for a bike on its back wheel...

Commodore was hit on the rear right hand wheel...

Sorry for not being clearer.
  10. Very appropriate name, Ninja.
  11. Well done ninja. You were aware of what was going on around you, summed up the situation and obviously made the right decision.

Did it seem like it was happening in slow motion?
  12. Nope. Seemed like it was happening in x2 speed. None of my actions were planned or conscious. They were pure reactions... Which i'm assuming come from my experience on the road and on a bike. I certainly didn't think the situation out, I found myself in the middle of it and i reacted. Thankfully my bike and I came out unbent.
  13. Maybe if the cement truck had been a safe cement truck and worn a fluoro vest this wouldn't have happened.
  14. One would think 20 tons of steel and concrete 2.5m high by 1.5m wide would be deterrent enough. I think it was a boral truck too... The cabs are bright yellow. But don't quote me there.
  15. You make a good point on the 'pure reactions' comment. That's what it's like after you've been riding a while. You don't think about it, you just do it.

But, I don't think you give yourself enough credit mate. Reading you original post, it certainly reads like you knew what was going on.
  16. So how much of a gap did you allow while following the vehicle in front?
  17. I'm thinking about 2 -> 2.5 secs. I did ask myself "was I too close to the truck in front of me?" . I didn't think I was, I don't follow close behind other vehicles and I ended up stopping the bike in time even though I wasted a bit of time on considering merging.
  18. I'd leave more of a gap in the future. If you're worried about cars taking your gap, it doesn't happen often. A stebel air horn also helps.

**** I love my air horn.

19. Good work MN! Was just talking about ebraking practice tonight... worth keeping that skill at your finger tips isn't it.