Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How did you know you were ready?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kawasakiboy, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hi all,
    I am feeling quite confident now that I can go for my P plates license and pass.
    My question is.. How did you know you where ready to go for your p's.
    Apparently I have to do an on the road test now. Has anyone done the new P plate test in Victoria and could they give me any tips also?

2. You just know.

You are comfortable on the bike, in traffic with other road users, varying weather and road surface.
    Getting on the bike is a pleasure, there is little stress involved and your personal 'oh-shit' moments are few and far in between.

I'm sure many learners get their P's without ticking all these boxes, but that's my answer to your question.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. This is tricky because unless you are getting feedback you don't really know. I'd been riding in traffic, did the Great Ocean Road on my L's and rode every chance I got through last years blasted Melbourne winter, but I still didn't know if my riding was good enough to get my license because I had no feedback. I had no idea what sort of rider I was. I'd practiced all I could and used the licence test to judge if what I had learned was good enough to call myself any sort of rider. Aced the test much to my utter amazement. Sometimes we can be our own worst critic. Mind you, although this was a pleasant surprise, I'm still learning every opportunity I get. I'm sure one day in the far future I'll be game enough to stop calling myself a newbie, but I have a few years to go yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Agreed.

This Passed the new Victorian License Test is well worth a read, It has some great tips and thoughts on the test.

Other than watching every road craft video on road craft and your own assessment of how comfortable with low speed stuff, it comes down to your own confidence, but I get you. There is nothing like a bit of affirmation or otherwise in feedback.

Get along to one of the Saturday rides and get someone to have a look at you. There is a certain amount of mentoring available through the forum.
  5. Are you going to do the "Check ride"? I have my license test booked in 7 days *exited* but I also did the check ride in preparation for it. I technically didn't have to do it, but I don't think there's any way I could pass the license test without doing it, because they tell you what they're looking for and what you can/can't do to pass. Now I know to do a head check to check for head checks after you head check before I take off.
  6. -When your no longer afraid of the bike
    -Confident counter steering and steering while looking up
    -Comfortable turning and performing manovoures such as U-turns
    -Can change gears and slip the clutch without thinking
    -No longer scared or feel bullied by traffic
    -Got the principles and building up some defensive roadcraft
    -Able to maintain and estimate speed and hold a safe following distance
    -Ridden in all weather

If you have a friend or mentor who helps you ride then get their 2cents. They will be able to tell you in 2 minutes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you have to ask, you probably aren't ready!
  8. I don't think we ever know if we are ready as we are always learning, however, how confident you are should be your guide. If you just get on the bike and ride without having to think about any steps and you don't get nervous in traffic etc, and you can tell yourself no probs, then your probably ready. But if you are questioning or second guessing your abilities, maybe your not there yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. G'day KawasakiboyKawasakiboy. I felt ready to pass the NSW Provisional licence test when:
    • Operating motorcycle controls on the road no longer took up primary awareness
    • I was able to be aware of road surfaces and manage distance between myself and other motorists
    • My slow-speed control of the motorcycle was such that I could coordinate throttle, feathered clutch and rear brake to perform controlled U-turns in both directions, ride in a straight line at less than walking pace and ride through an offset cone-weave pattern
    • And most importantly, (!) emergency braking without loss of traction from 60-90 km/h
    It took about three months of daily road riding and practising test exercises to get to consistently get to that point - everyone is different though. I'd ridden motorcycles off-road before and driven cars and other vehicles for about twenty years and that helped.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I can definetly ride the bike without thinking about controls, I practice my quick stops regularly at different speeds and ride almost everyday slow or fast And feel I'm quite balanced at slow speeds, haven't stalled since the first week I bought the bike and don't get nervous around traffic anymore and haven't for a fair while.
    I feel as confident riding the bike now as I would jumping in my car and driving you could say.

things I haven't done much off.
    U turns.
    lane filtering which as a learner I'm sure we not supposed to do on our L's anyway in Vic.
    And I haven't done to much FWY / HWY riding.

I wouldn't think having to ask means I am not ready..I'm just using my resources to help save me $230 or my life.
  11. I will be going for my Ps as soon as I can, 3 months and 2 days after getribg Ls. I am practicing my slow speed stuff 2-3 hours a week for the next 3-4 weeks. I ride on the freeway in the rain and at night, I feel comfortable but still very aware.

Also the $180ish booking fee will motivate me to not fail by practicing a lot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I knew because I was riding to and from uni every day (mix of arterial, heavy traffic and motorway), and drilling the slow-speed stuff a few times a week. Didn't have Saturday learner's sessions back then so I found a quiet street near home and marked out my own course with masking tape and drink bottles.

Make it to a Saturday session if you can, you might feel confident at slow speeds but things like the u-turn and offset slalom are so different to what you'd do riding on the road that it's worth drilling them to make sure you have the mechanics down pat.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. KawasakiboyKawasakiboy i did my test early last year before the "check ride" test started. Few personal tips : highly recommend saturday practice, GreyBMGreyBM and hawklordhawklord are great teachers and mentors! uncle greguncle greg saturday ride or sunday learners ride will expose you to various roads etc and some freeway.Secondly, you won't know until you go for it. I was kind of nervous on the day of my test ( riding in helped reduce my stress level ) both my mentor -greybm and my partner - ned have been helping me leading up to the "day". Do the test with a positive mindset and even IF you dont pass on the day , learn from the mistake and its not the end of the world ;)
  14. Why don't you buy street cones and set up the test and see if you can complete all the activities as described. All the above skills mentioned is all good and well but not relevant if you can't pass the actual course.