Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How come there's not more young female riders?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Kernel, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I guess motorcycling is an inherently male thing because the male rider to female rider ratio is, well there is A LOT more males.
    And most of the females who do ride are usually a fair bit older.
    Where are all the young female riders?

2. They saw you coming...
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Riding scooters around the inner city parts, having there latte's....
  4. Lot of reasons, the "young females" I know usually say the same thing which is:

* Too risky
    * Too physically daunting
    * The crowd, every motorbike event my girlie has come along to (and it is a small sample, but I can see her point) has been full of men who were frankly, for a large part, behaving like bogans.
  5. Most noteably:

Most young women are seriously deluded when it comes to "safety". Just like most young men are seriously deluded when it comes to "skills, sex, life, conversations and feelings".

I know one younger female rider. The rest are all older than me... Shame really. Nothing sexier than a woman that can punt a bike through the hills quicker than you can :D
  6. Browny...... <----
  7. While wearing skin-tight leather... ;)
  8. its browny's fault ?
  9. They might be further up the road, waiting for you to catch up.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. the only other young female rider I have seen on net rider rides a cbr125r, so I don't think she has much chance of out running me in the hills.
    mind you if she did manage to do it I would be completely and utterly smitten.
    yes [MENTION=34436]Zeffy[/MENTION] , I'm talking about you.
  11. There’s a risk in speculating about why people do things, or don’t do things, because each person has their own reasons and they’re all different.

Bikes are seen as a dangerous activity. People who have no personal exposure to them are likely to not have a good understanding of exactly what the risks are or how likely they are to be injured or killed. There are plenty of men, perhaps not the majority but a healthy minority, who enjoy doing things that carry a degree of physical risk. Very few women do.

Then there’s the social thing. Men (mostly) don’t ride bikes so they can meet other bike riders and enjoy long walks on the beach and candle lit dinners. We socialize, sure, but it’s not a big deal to us. Women don’t ride because other women don’t ride, and who’d want to be the first? And then there’s the attention they’d get from male motorcyclists (yuck!) and let’s not even talk about the hysteria that’d come from mothers, aunties, neighbors, ex-school teachers, employers – every other woman who feels they have not only a right but an obligation to intervene in a woman’s life and tell her how she should live it.

Then we need to look at the system for getting involved. The degree of difficulty and inconvenience is there and growing, for everybody. It must seem an entirely hostile place to women because everything about it is aimed at men. Bikes are built for men. Jackets and helmets and gloves and boots are built for men. Riding schools are built by men for men. The salesmen in the bike shop will look over your head and ask where your boyfriend is, to try and sell him a bike.

It goes back even further. Many (perhaps all) competent and capable motorcycle riders started out as competent and capable pushbike riders. We rode hands off. We rode over jumps. We learned to pop the front wheel up and how to lock up the rear wheel and get the bike crossed up. The better ones learned how to do that without using the brakes, how to relax on the bars and let the bike ride itself when the speeds got high. We pushed them up hills on foot and coasted down in the slip-stream of busses. We stood up on the seats and rode like the bike was a surfboard. In short, we dicked around on bikes for countless hours learning the basic skills. How many girls do you remember doing it? Not many, right? Not unheard of, not nonexistent, but very rare.

So where are the women going to come from, who take up motorcycles as adults? They’re going to have to learn the basic skills and reflexes as adults – which is harder to do. They’re going to have to ignore the negative advice and warnings of all the people close to them. They’re going to have to be prepared to undertake something physically dangerous. They’re going to have to be prepared to spend money. (No, don’t laugh – shoes and handbags are many small purchases. A bike and all the gear is a large purchase. It isn’t cheap.) And they’re going to have to put up with all the trials and tribulations the rest of us do, but also all the ones that are specific to women who ride.

And none of that addresses the question of aptitude and and basic, innate, instinctive ability. I have a met a small number of women who are really good - really capable - drivers. But it's a pretty damn small number. I've met a very small number of women who are really good and capable riders. They are out there, but they're pretty rare. I think this is partly due to evolutionary gender roles. Men hunted, women did pretty much everything else. The key skills and success factors for a hunter are the same ones that see men sit captivated by a game of golf or cricket, or a motor race. Speed, line, angle, distance, judgement and split second timing.

The key skills and success factors for the 'everything else' have to do with talking and listening. Politics. Bargaining and negotiation, manipulation, group awareness. Multi tasking and good enough skills in a broad range of tasks - not intense focus on expertise at one skill. There could be several evolutionary reasons why a male would be drawn to things which are dangerous, (hunting, defence, competition for females and tribe leadership) but there are precious few why a female would be. The success factor, for a female, would generally have been to be highly risk averse. You don't generally, willingly, put yourself in danger, at least not just for entertainment.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Guardian Angel is going to love you for thinking she's old(er). How old is old for you anyway?

Now, there's a relevant question for this thread - How old is "older"?
  13. Way to go KD... Way to pull some philosophical meaning out of a completely shallow question...

@Greydog: if you have to ask, you're too old :D
  14. Ooooh yeah and guardian angel too. I certainly don't see Guardian Angel as being older. Sorry I forgot you, GA!
    How old is "older"... let's say 30+
    Actually I will be completely honest with you. "Older" is too old for them to want to date me!
  15. I scare them [/thread]
  16. BWAHahahaha!
    30+ for a chick is old?

Boy are YOU missing out!!
  17. Hey I KNOW I'm too old. I ride!
  18. Hahahaha, you're right! There's something to be said for "experience" LOL
  19. See the last line of my response to Greydog's post. Personally I have no prejudice against age. If a hot 30+ year old biker chick asked me out I would more than likely gladly say yes. But I doubt that will ever happen, not in my wildest dreams.
    "Why don't you approach them," you ask? Because I'm shy 8-[