Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How are bus lanes made?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by starlet, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Are bus lanes - or our "red carpet" slipperier than normal lanes?

Does anyone know how they are made, is it just red gravel or is it mixed with paint which would make it slippery, true?

Joel, maybe you know from your experience with roads?

2. Once upon a time, an attractive female airport runway met a rogueish and daring bicycle lane.
    She was swept off her feet by his commitment to ideals, his political views, and his passion for the environment.
    He admired her physical form, devotion to others, kindness, and personal hygiene.
    After only a few dinner-dates, they had fallen madly in love with each other, and she invited him over to her airport for coffee.

After greeting him at the security gates, wearing only a thin strip of epoxy safety markings, she whispered hungrily into his Clearway 8-10am sign, "I want you". Throwing caution to the wind, they...

Wait WTF am I typing? :shock:
  3. Bus Lanes are made in either 2 ways as far as I know,

1, the asphalt is coloured at the mixing plant and layed in the road way just like the normal black top. Grip levels should be the same as any normal road way (other then the painted white lettering)

2, The road is covered in a red oxide type spray with reflective properties. This can hold water and make things a little worse then the normal roads.

So it all depends on what it is made of on weither it is slippery or not.

4. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  5. Some 'bus lane' was laid down near me (narrabeen) this week. Riding on it felt fine, apart from the fine layer of gravel/red stuff or whatever it is. Should be alright after that stuff has been driven away.
  6. I think its made from one of those gravel mixed with ashfualt or something. For grip tyres wou;d grip better coz of the rough surface.
  7. they're bloody horrible in the wet, not too bad in the dry. Part of the problem is that buses drop a fair bit of oil which makes things slippery, there's white lines every so often - also slippery. I think they're made of melted something or other, as when they're laying it down they're standing over it with blowtorches *gets ideas*
  8. Paging Joel, Paging Joel. Road works question in isle 4.
  9. Thanks guys, my main concern was whether it would be slipperier than the rest of the road in the wet? On my trip to work there's a fair bit of bus lane I can hop into but as it's been raining lately - should I be avoiding it?

Ktulu - what happens in the end? :grin:
  10. When an airport runway and a bicycle lane love each other very much, and she is open to new ideas, and he brings over 2 of his closest mates, and...
  11. :rofl:

both possible, and both are the methods used.
    however, it is (2) that is the most common method. I am actually not aware of any asphalt mixing plants in australia that have produced any coloured asphalt in some time (i just looked through citrix) except for extremely small decorative works*.
    the oxide type spray is pretty much just that, it is a bituminous paint style product (proprietary - i have MSDS, but dont know exactly how it is made) that is either sprayed as for linemarking and covered in glass beads/seived sand. curing doesnt take too long, and yes, there will be a few loose particles until the suction broom cleans it up.
    this is really only ever done to asphalt, and not so much to sprayed seals, that is why you notice the grip difference, asphalt doesnt have the same traction characterisics as a seal. :)

*cycleway adjacent to the foreshore in St Kilda which was constructed in a sandy coloured asphalt.
    *platforms at Spencer Street Station where the asphalt provides a similar appearance to bluestone