Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how accurate are the travel times for google maps.....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by oz_johnno, Jan 18, 2010.

1. howdi,
    well the bags are packed and im ready to head off to khancorban NSW for a rally this weekend.

I live in the South east and was looking at heading out through bairnsdale, omeo and mount beauty to khancorban

the map says 670km, and 10 and a half hours.

I was wondering how accurate this would be, has anyone else gone this way in the past ?

2. If you're on a motorcycle, divide the time by 2 ;)
  3. You can also now check how bad the traffic is in real time..
  4. Googlemaps seems to work on an average speed of 60km/hr no matter what the posted limit is.
  5. That's actually a pretty realistic time for the whole day I reckon. Including stopping for fuel, pics, hour lunch and water breaks.

Nice route there.
  6. Like any GPS/satnav software, googlemaps makes assumptions about your average travel speed based on the types of roads used, and how far you travel on each. But one should never ass|u|me. ;)

Sometimes it's accurate... Maybe your average 110kph-freeway speed really will only be 97kph when you tally in traffic, fuel and food/rest stops.

Sometimes it's woefully wrong, when using some disused backroad the cartographers assumed to be an average travel speed of 45-60kph, but in actuality is a 100kph road.

Or worse, when the cartographers class the road as a high-speed 100kph highway but in reality it's a tourist-packed 80kph speed limit with traffic lights.

I find Google Maps to be usually be quite conservative, even for TOTAL travel time (food + fuel stops included)
  7. Their travel times are realistic for how a lot of people drive (i.e. take breaks etc) if you stay at the posted limits. I did a lot better than the Google estimate from Mel-Syd then Syd-Bris only because I only stopped once for petrol + 10 minutes on top of that on each of those days. Otherwise, I'd have taken about as long as Google said if my total stops for each of those days was about 1.5 hours.
  8. I use them a lot and find them realistic because, as others have said, they take into account stops.
  9. Seriously, use it for directions and thats it
  10. all come down to the rider, i find on longer day rides you will do it in under the time listed, i reckon it's within about 1- 1.5hrs under for those big days but again all depends on group size no. of breaks, and rider ability on the chosen roads
  11. i set my navman up to go to the gold coast, i left home at 10pm, navman said i should reach my destination at 7:15am, well i got there at 7:12am, i was impressed..

so if u got a navman, turn it on at home, set your destination and use that time it gives you
  12. On every long distance ride that I do I set the trip computer before I leave. Invariably, by the time I get home and check the data, the average speed is usually between 90 km/h and 95 km/h. And this will include stretches where, well, one stretches it a bit.

For the twisty bits, say from Bruthern to Mount Hotham, the average speed tends to be around 75 to 85 km/h. This isn't going slow, either. (well, maybe for Flux it is).

When I use Google or Travelmate or Whereis or whatever mapping website that there is out there, I use it more for the distances than the calculated time. I then base the riding time on 90 kays.

Of course, when you ride in the groups like what I do, it takes forever to get anywhere, what with stops for fuel, rest rooms and the darned smokers of the outfit...

The only time that I can get anywhere quick is if I'm riding by myself. As an example, we usually take all day to get to Tintaldra from Gippsland. I did it in just under 6hrs last year when I rode there solo. Average speed at the end of the day was 102 km/h...
  13. I find it always overestimates massively. Take for example the fairly short trip from my place to my girlfriends. It says 49 minutes, I do it in about 30.
    Or even more extreme the 100km from my place to cape jervis. It says 2hr and 5 minutes but I think it forgets to take into account that the majority of the roads are 100km/h. I think it doesn't have the limits recorded so it just defaults to 60km/h. It takes me about an hour to do that trip.
  14. To start off I'm a learner so restricted to 80km\h. I did a trip I planned on google maps a couple of weeks ago that showed it would take 1 hr 40 mins. It was very much spot on including the 10 minute break I had half way to have a look around. Although just calculating google maps distance divided by time, it shows the average speed to be 52km\h. The roads I traveled on were mainly 100-110km\h roads, with a few towns thrown in between. That seems pretty far off.

So to sum that up, it's all over the place, you should be able to do the trips faster than stated, in this instance googles average speed was really low, and it sucks to be a learner and speed restricted!

15. Google Maps seems to be pretty accurate for me when I drive my cage.

My Garmin GPS and Mapsource software, which always estimates a time less than Google Maps, seems to be pretty accurate for me when I ride my bike.

My usual modus operandi is to check on Google Maps and take that as a worst case, then check in Mapsource and use that as a best case, or more realistic time on the bike, with no breaks.
  16. The Tom Tom, the Mio and Aldi GPSes that I've owned or currently own are pretty accurate in calculating ETA.
  17. When I drive a mini bus the times are way out, as the friggin thing is slow. However, when I drive a car they are roughly close. I find using the Kilometers they give you and then doing quick calculations in my head along the way a better use of the info given by Google Maps. That is, I use the trip meter and do the calc. on the run. The GPS units you buy basically do the same thing, but you have to listen. It keeps my ride interesting especially during boring bits as I play a game of whether my calculation was right or not.
  18. Going to Bairnsdale last weekend, driving conservatively with a stop or two I was still over half an hour below the Google maps estimate.
  19. With the Netrider Jindabyne National Meeting coming up I was looking at Google maps and out of interest plugged the same routes into Whereis.com.

Consistently Google was 2 km shorter using the Melbourne to Jindabyne google routes than the same route in Whereis (maybe they used a slightly different start/finish point - I didn't zoom right in to check). However Google also consistently suggested that the shorter route would take an hour longer than the Whereis suggested travel time.

Think it's something to do with breaks in the space/time continuum or perhaps their flux capacitor is just broken.
  20. just check it over 700+ day and it's out by nearly 1.5hrs by the time i got home but the morning i was riding with a group of slower riders and stopping regularly (and they weren't at speed everywhere, i would say a day trip of 700km riding at speed (everywhere) it's closer to 2 to 2.5hours shorter then google maps claim from my experience