Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

hotter or colder plugs?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by lightcycle, Mar 30, 2008.

1. hey,

Smart or not, I just took what the guy in the shop gave me, my spada is supposed to have a NGK CR8EH-9, but I walked away and installed two shiny new NGK CR9EH-9. They're supposed to be a cooler plug, what's the implications of this? Fouling?

The bike's running fine, I dont know precisely whether it's better or worse as the smoother way it's running right now might be more the oil change I did at the same time. It seems better at high speed but more sluggish off the lights.
  2. the cooler running plug is designed for sustained high speed use of the bike. the Cr9eh9 is what i used in the VTR250 for yonks and never gave me grief. cooler running plugs decrease the chance is piston damage in an engine thats having its tits revved off over a sustained period of time.
  3. have a look at them. Are they severly blackened, almost wet looking?? if so that means the plug is a little too cold(thats of course as long as your fuel ratios are right anyhow), otherwise they will be fine.