Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hot seat - cbr600f4i

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Shortie, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Got a CBR600f4i last week and so far I am loving it. Exception of one problem. The seat gets rather uncomfortably warm. Enough so that I have to sometimes stand up at the lights. Engine temp usually sits around 80c to 105c which is when the fan kicks in.

I took the seat off after a ride and noticed that the unit on top of the battery was rather hot. Is this normal? I presume not as long rides on this thing could possibly ruin any hopes of me having kids later. What could it be?

2. I will be intertested hear riders' responses about this.

We had a discussion in the Forum last year about the Hornet's tank getting hot in summer. Different bike but same-ish capacity and marque.

If only we could have hot seats and tanks in winter that then were cool in summer.
  3. I have a CBR600F4, had it for almost 1 year and the seat does not get hot that I've noticed. Depending on the layout you need to find what is sitting above the battery, and is it the battery that is getting really hot.
    If it is then you may have some shorting, or battery or rectifier issues.
  4. Hi,

Its not so much the battery but the ECM unit. How hot should these get? How would I go about checking if anything is shorting?
  5. Seems like this may be a common problem/feature of the CBR600f4i. I have placed a thin piece of heat reflective material and this has improved things alot. Now I am worried this may "cook" the ecm as heat will get trapped in there. What do you think?
  6. It sounds odd, I know I never had any problems with the seat of my 600F, 2005 manufacture.

I can't help with the mechanical side but it's not a common thing to my knowledge.

Good luck.