Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hot Hornet

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by RobE, Feb 20, 2008.

1. (I cannot remember how many dumb questions I have asked you guys but this is the next one. :roll: )

I commute my Hornet 600 between Ferntree Gully and Yarra Junction. I notice that on the trip home that the tank feels warm to my knees. This did not happen with the same trip on the old girl (CB 250).

So, is this normal for the Hornet 600?

I have not ridden a water cooled bike before.

I do not think it is the sun heating up the tank. Sure the black tank sits in the sun all day but so did the 250's black tank. And it does not feel particularly warm as I leave town.

Another thought is that I sit a lot closer to the tank on the Hornet.

Also the tank is considerably smaller so it might be more likely to warm up.

Or is it just the effect of all that hot water? According to the gauge she is running within an appropriate range of temperatures.

2. My CBR600 definitely gets warm. Some of its from bodyheat, sun and mostly engine I think. A mates bike had so much engine heat that his fuel would boil, you could hear it when stopped.
  3. Just like any pilot, you should trust your gauges, not feelings.
    If the temp gauge is fine and working, shouldn't be any issue.

Yes, my tank on Hornet 900 feels warm too. Sometimes in the city during stop-go-stop-go ride needle goes very high then whole bike is warm.
  4. the Hornet 600 is a bike that runs a lot warmer than others.

I also went from a CB250 to a Hornet 600 and was shocked at how warm my legs were.

One thing I did was remove all the old coolant (cause it had gone yucky) and replaced it with new coolant, it seemed to help.

but as long as the gague isn't in the red, then it should be ok.

just make sure it's not overfilled so it can't move coolant into the overflow bottle when it's hot.
  5. Bigger bike.

Bigger engine.

Bigger fire.

Bigger heat.
  6. On the hotter days, I make sure I run with a full tank of juice.
    The fuel will help keep the tank cooler from the engine/frame heat transfer into the metal tank.
  7. Yep, it runs hot.

But that just means you're not going fast enough. :wink:

Seriously, mine regularly travels to the second to top needle on hot days. It's only a problem when it hits the red (which it's never done).
  8. I like riding my hornet on cold days ...
    It gives me a 'warm' 'fuzzy' feeling where I least expect it :oops: :oops:
  9. My bike almost feels like it'll burn the inside of my knees sometimes. But that's just heat generated from fanging.

Little bikes are cold for a reason.

10. What's the problem??? Hornet 600s are HAWT!!!!
  11. Anyone tried adding an electric thermo fan?
  12. The hornet HAS electric Thermo fans, which switch in when the water gets too hot. But the wash of air back from the radiator, even before the fans kick in, is quite significant....
  13. Yes, Hornets give you that 'hot between the legs' feeling. VFR400s do too. It's down to the quiddities of bike design, clearances, airflow etc. It has nothing to do with your engine overheating, just the dispersion of that heat.
  14. yup my hornet 600 is the same, nice hot legs.

but usually only during stop start... once your moving at a decent speed it cools down a bit.
  15. Remember the last time I took the missus on the back of the 250, the chassis and lower tank was at about 30-40 degrees (by feel), after a run over the back of the spurs and home to the dandeongs. Never felt heat buildup like that before, but there was no idiot light or fan, so trust the gauges.