Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hostile police radar equipment???

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Stubby_holder, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Apologies if you have seen this before but I got a bit of a giggle from it. Not entirely sure of its accuracy though.

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed."

2. Now you can be!

Snopes

3. #3 FALCON-LORD, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  4. It seemed a bit far fetched, although mildly amusing. I will be correcting the person who sent it to me... :p

5. I've heard an amusing, much older (and equally fictional) variation that apparently circulated in the mid '50s, involving military radar tests, the A1 (interesting coincidence) and a 160 mph Vincent Black Lightning.

Rollie Free must have found a pair of Speedos and some more aerodynamic plimsolls :grin: .

One tale that appears to have more basis in fact is that a contributory factor in the introduction of the 70 mph blanket speed limit in the UK, was the tendency of manufacturers such as Aston Martin to use the then new M1 motorway as a high speed proving ground for their Le Mans cars :shock: .