Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hospital Haunted by Ghost.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2up, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Staff at a state-of-the-art hospital have called in a chaplain after being spooked by a 'ghost'.

Workers at Derby's new Royal Hospital have reported seeing a black-clad figure in a cloak stalking wards and corridors.

The £334m hospital is built on the site of the old Derby City Hospital - the same site where a Roman road used to run.

A hospital spokesman has confirmed to Sky News that a number of hospital workers had been "spooked" by a sighting.

And she said a chaplain would be meeting staff next week to help allay their concerns.

Word of a planned exorcism spread after an email to staff was leaked to the media.

Senior manager Debbie Butler wrote: "I'm not sure how many of you are aware that some members of staff have reported seeing a ghost.

"I'm taking it seriously as the last thing I want is staff feeling uneasy at work.

"I've spoken to the Trust's chaplain and she is going to arrange for someone from the cathedral to exorcise the department."

But a hospital spokesman said: "There is absolutely no truth in what has been reported in the media today that an exorcism has been arranged.

"We will be talking to staff in the department to listen to their concerns.

"We respect our staff and always listen to their views to help put minds at ease."

Experts said the surgical spirit could be the ghost of a Roman soldier killed on the spot where the hospital was first built in the 1920s.

Developers apparently ignored local protests about the construction and covered over part of a Roman route.

Source: Sky News.
  2. chaplain? theyre doing it wrong

3. Other issues aside would a Christian exorcism work on a non-Christian ghost?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't exorcisms designed to help the spirit move into heaven - which is supposed to be impossible if they weren't baptised. So if the spirit doesn't go to heaven where does it go :? .
  4. the sentence should end there :p
  5. Agreed, but I'm curious to hear from those that believe exorcisms do work where they're supposed to send non-Christian souls.
  6. Placebo effect. Delusional ghost spotter sees "ghost" exorcised. Delusional ghost spotter's subconcious no longer creates "ghost".

And wouldn't the Roman soldier have been rather old in the 1920s? Couldn't have taken much killing.
  7. If you dont believe in God and Spirits
    you can always try to believe in Scientists, extra dimentional entities, aliens and the big bang theory (not fact yet) :LOL:
  8. Neither is gravity, bikes still fall over though.
  9. Ingenious way to get out of work.

10. You couldn't help yourself from making a slip by saying "not fact yet". :LOL:

Try putting that after other sentences and see how it sounds....

• Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead (not fact yet).
      The earth is 6000 years old (not fact yet).
      Dinosaurs and man co-existed (not fact yet).

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it? If you remove the "yet" bit, it sounds heaps better though. :wink:
  11. what slip?
    put all of the above in the "to figure out later pile" :LOL:

the point i was making is religion has faith and science has theory
    same shit

priest says the soul is within you
    scientist says bull shit, its all in your brain
    the kindergarten child says but isnt the brain within you.
  12. No it's not. Science will always accept alternative theories, faith will not.
    That's a very, very important distinction.
  13. There's a huge difference between dogma and theory. One considers itself a 'conclusion', while the other is a rational pursuit of a 'conclusion'.
  14. depends on what you believe in, if God comes floating on a cloud and tells a faithful that this is the new religious rules, the faithful would change his beliefs, the scientist would look up and say thats BS nobody can stand on a cloud

15. [shakes head] You clearly lack an understanding of what science is.
    If "god" showed up with a new set of rules, there'd be plenty of faithful not changing their beliefs - this is the basic difference between Jews and Christians FFS.
  16. No - the scientist would say "there is evidence that standing on a cloud is possible - what enables someone to stand on a cloud?'
  17. damn, things really get off topic here dont they :LOL:

what does a ghost sighting have to do with any particular religion? nothing

somebody sees something perhaps partially based in reality partially in their head, they then reach for their belief system of choice to console themselves.

an exorcism makes about as much sense as dancing around a pigs head under a full moon waving a chicken foot. or a peruvian flute band (my fav choice)
  18. Just leave the ghost alone. Poor bugger.
  19. I found this post by mistake. I was looking for information on horse piddle being hunted by a goat.

As you were.