Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Horse riding protective vest

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by dgmeister, Mar 4, 2013.

1. i own a motorcycle pressure suit but was underwhelmed with the build quality, especially for $200it is also a prick to put on and off, so i barely wear it unless going to the track
    i am also unaware if these are built to any standard

On TV one night i saw a show featuring an equestrian protective vest, and thought that would be good for the bike!

i purchased the 'dublin supraflex body protector', retail was $200
    (the vest is not recommended for use on motorcycles)

obviously a vest protects the rib cage, the back of the vest extends fairly low, almost to the tailbone.
    the inner shoulders are protected and there is padding on the side of the torso also.

the unit is constructed of a medium density foam padding about 15 mm thick, the foam is especially made to distribute an impact force over the maximum surface area.

the vest is made to the 'BETA 3' standard; 'horse rider body and shoulder protector standard level 3' is on a tag affixed to the vest. (3 is the best protection)

it fits under a jacket, it is comfortable and not restrictive at all unless turning my head to look behind, it is easy and fast to put on and take off, so i will wear it every time i ride

there are thinner less restrictive versions available too.

i am happy with my purchase and hope i never find out if it works or not!

"First worn by bull riding and bronc riding superstar Cody Lambert in the early 1990’s, the protective vest now worn by many bull riders, bronc riders, clowns, and bull fighters is credited with saving countless men and women from serious injury in the rodeo arena. The protective vest offers protection from direct trauma (such as when a contestant is stomped on by a bull or bronc or hit with a horn) by absorbing shock and dissipating an otherwise crushing blow over a larger area."
  2. My rule is generally more layers of protection = better! Is there any hard armour on it at all though? Any photos of the back?
  3. I used to eventing competitively before I got into bikes and I always wore one of these when doing cross country and show jumping. I had so many falls I lost count. The protector definitely prevented some serious injuries.
    My friends horse bolted on her one day and slammed her straight into a post and rail fence, she was lucky she was wearing one of these as her upper body took all of the impact and she walked away without injury.
  4. There are massive differences between falling off a horse and a bike. I would be concerned about sliding on pavement with that soft material. It looks like it could actually bite into the ground as it got torn to threads causing the body to tumble instead of slide, causing the rider to a) get injuries from the flipping and b) lose orientation during a slide so they are less likely to avoid or prepare for an impact with an obstacle.
  5. I was thinking it would be worn under a jacket ...

um ... the ground seems just are hard no matter what you fall off :inpain:
  6. It can be worn under a jacket, I always had mine under a jacket
  7. Ah yes, under, makes sense now. Durrr
  8. i think it is more important that it is easy to put on, just like a poncho then velcro the sides and a buckle! so then i wear it instead of leaving it in the cupboard

there is no hard armour on the vest, it almost molds to your body

the foam is especially made for impacts

worn under my non-padded leathers

there are also kid's and women's models too
  9. Under the jacket yes
    Otherwise no
  10. Better than nothing but, with a bit of shopping around, can't you get a motorcycle specific armour vest for about the same money? It's a while since I looked but it doesn't seem an impossibility.
  11. i make my neice wear her horse gear if i take her up and down their driveway... you can get zip up vests too and some have relatively hard armour.. bear in mind they're designed to absorb forces like being trodden on or kicked... so in an urban environment where you might hit weird objects... they're probably a decent bit of kit to consider.