Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Hornsby Council to issue CRASH cards

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Soyajam, Jun 23, 2016.

1. I regularly peruse the tech site Lifehacker, and came across this post this afternoon:

The Biggest take from this article:

"Hornsby Shire Council has worked with emergency services agencies to provide cards to NSW motorcyclists that contain vital information for paramedics that are called out to these kind of accidents."

You can request one for free if you are registered to ride in NSW here.

I have some crappy paper card I made up in my wallet with my blood type and etc - but to have this on hand would be much easier - and something paramedics are likely to recognise.
    I think this is a pretty cool initiative!

• Like Like x 2
  2. dont crash babe

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Your better off with an emergency bracelet or nacklace, that's what their trained to look for.

4. Saw that the other day...good idea and like UG said "don't crash babe" would be good....

5. Thanks bro :cool:

I can barely remember to wear a watch let alone jewellery - I guess both would be a good idea but I'd be more likely to have this info on me all the time. The article states that supposedly paramedics know these exist too. I hope so anyway :\

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you have an iPhone you can create a contact profile for yourself and also add emergency contact info with known allergies etc. it doesn't require you to unlock the phone to see the info.
    Just navigate to emergency screen prompt.

7. but the cord isnt long enough

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ewwww Apple devices!

Kidding (sort of)

I have an android device, and the apps out there for ICE info isn't that great. They're either intrusive (in your face during day to day use) or very hard to find if you're an emergency person (eg, in the deep dark corners of the phone)
    iOS's health app isn't bad from what I've heard, but Google have yet to jump on that bandwagon.

9. Thanks for that, Soyajam.

I'll get a couple (two helmets) when I have time.

As for that, yes, I do have religious objections to Apple devices.

10. Only one problem...... the business of having a red sticker on the outside of the helmet to tell emergency services that there is a card, inside the helmet.

What happens if you have a red helmet?

11. I saw this somewhere recently and believe they also provide a sticker to put on the helmet (I know) to notify emergency services of the card inside the helmet.

Thats ok if the injury is such that the helmet can be removed without the risk of a spinal injury before administering any medications that the rider may be allergic to.

A medic bracelet IMHO is a better option for this scenario.

12. As far as I know, and I am open to be corrected, the ambos have equipment to do a safe helmet removal.......

I think they basically cut it to bits.

13. Cutting the card in the process??

Im not saying its a bad idea, I liked it when first read about it.

Nothing is perfect

14. <shrug> Shit happens.

I remember, years ago, being at a club level car race meeting and chatting to a doctor there.

At that time, it was "fashionable" to have your blood group embroidered onto your race overalls, but she told me that the stitched on blood group was totally ignored at Hospital Emergency...... just in case someone was wearing someone else's overalls.

As it happened, I knew for a fact at least one driver was driving in another person's race suit.

As you say....Nothing is perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I am not aware of the ambulance service carrying specific equipment to remove a helmet. However, they do carry the hard collar required to immobilise your cervical spine after the helmet has been removed. If the rider is conscious, talking to you and has no problem breathing, do not remove the helmet. The incidence of failure to remove a helmet is approximately 1 in 2000. This is relatively rare in medical terms. As a plan B where the helmet can't be removed conventionally, it is possible to destabilise the chin bar using a Gigli saw to enable access to the airway. For more information, I discussed this in my CME presentation here (around the 20 min mark), along with medical alert bracelets and so on.

If you're getting yourself a medical alert, don't waste limited characters on your blood type — we will ignore it under all circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. just use compatible type anyway? (O-?) or test at hospital? or not that important?

• Like Like x 1
  17. We'll send off a sample of your blood to determine your type and any antibodies you might have. This checks a lot more than just A/B/O and rhesus compatibility. We then use the results of this to determine which units in the blood bank are compatible with you and release them for you. The process takes about 20-30 minutes, longer if you have antibodies. Because it does take time, we have untyped O negative blood (the so-called 'universal donor') that we can give in an emergency. Red cells are only the first part of a massive transfusion though: we also give fresh frozen plasma (clotting factors), cryoprecipitate (fibrinogen) and platelets. All of these have to be typed. Most major hospitals have a massive transfusion protocol, which means you can get all these things together without having to order them separately.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. I'm truly glad we have professionals like you and your like on the case :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Tattooed on the forehead?

20. Dunno about the forehead, but, there is a story that some character had:"Do not Resuscitate" tattooed on his chest.

When the ambos were called, for whatever reason, they paid absolutely zero attention to the tattoo.

• Funny Funny x 1