Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hornet Wont Re-start After Running Dry

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by RobE, Dec 11, 2008.

1. My 600 Hornet normaly starts without bother; hot or cold.

But if we run out of fuel, stall and then switch over to Reserve she hates to re-start.

This has happened at the stop line at the traffic lights twice now. When we are moving the bike will give me a low fuel warning by coughing a couple of times. When we are stopped she just dies.

It is character building to have to turn around to the driver you have just filtered & are now blocking and grin sheepishly.

The obvious solution is, of course, to not run the tank dry however I would appreciate any suggestions about getting her to restart without drama before the lights change.

(Sorry if this is topic we have already done. I did search but found nothing relevant.)

2. Without knowing more specifics about the bike, but if it's carbies, then you have to get fuel down to the bowls and at the right level again.

If it's an injected, then the fuel pump has run dry (not good) and has to get the air out of the system.

It really is a case of making sure your don't run dry. Try using your trip meter to monitor the amount of k's you've done on a full tank. Fill up before you reach a known dry point.

3. I'm no expert, but the one time I ran out of fuel on my GS500 (carb) it wouldn't restart until the switch was in the prime position - on reserve it just wouldn't start. Started on prime, then turned to reserve. If you have a prime position and haven't tried it, give that a whirl.

4. Have a look to see if you have a bit of water in your fuel, Just a teaspoon of the stuff will make your life HELL.

5. You need to get your mechanic to check the integrity of the internals in the fuel tap and also clean it out. There is a small diafragm in there and if it's damaged it can result in just such a scenario you describe. I't not going to go away; get it fixed.

6. If the bike runs fine when switched to reserve on the move then I'd say your problem is one of waiting for fuel to get into the carbs.

As suggested before, keep note of when you are likely to be running out and switch to reserve early. It is a good practice to run on reserve, every now and then, to use the fuel in reserve so it is refreshed and you prevent a build up of gunk in the line to the reserve.

7. But if you do a run on reserve to prevent gunk build up, do so after you have penty of fuel in the tank and switch back before you neeed reserve.

Nothing worse than going to swap to reserve as the engine starts to cough and splutter, only to find that you are already on reserve.

8. A tad embarassing but you'll only do it once.

9. Hornet's right. The fuel tap is the first place I'd be looking. It's the only variable in the equation.