Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hornet upgrade.....?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by deafwish, May 30, 2006.

1. I rode my mates Ducati 996 the other day and realised just how good a big capacity twin is to ride.
    When I was looking for the Hornet 600, I was also looking at a VTR1000, but opted for the Hooner.

What I'm wanting to know is:
    Is there much of a performance difference between the Hornet and VTR?
    Worth upgrading to the VTR thou?
    VTR a better bike to do longer trips on?
    I'm thinking I can almost swap my 1998 Hornet for a similar year VTR1000, with similarly low KM's.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
  2. When I saw this thread I wondered if a certain OFARC had had a facelift... :grin: :grin:
  3. Mate, you've gotta go test ride one. Some people love those things, I hated the one I rode.

Engine felt woofy and a bit breathless. The sweet spot is between about 6 and 8k rpm, it's underwhelming below that and wheezy above with the power trailing off.

The handling is ok, but will feel slabby and ponderous coming off a Hornet 6. It sits nicely on the back wheel, but not for long due to that piss poor powerband.

Your Hornet 6 has a pretty sad tank range, but the early Storms were famous for their thirst - and all big twins chew tyres.

Go test ride one before you get drooling too hard mate. And if I were you I'd test plenty of other bikes too.
  4. What Loz said - the only time I rode one was coming straight off a VFR800 and while I wasn't keen on the VFR and the way the valves come in, I found that the VTR power band was even more annoying.

The word ponderous isn't quite fair, the handling was good (but not really up to the VFR)

Bigger isn't always better. :wink:

5. Thanks for that, Tony :LOL:

I haven't any experience with big twins (apart from BEING one), but tyre life, given how much they cost, would have to be a big consideration, I would have thought. I just replaced my BT-020 rear tyre with over 17,000 kms on it on my Hornet.....
  6. do everything Loz said - test ride, test ride, test ride.

personally I'd either a) buy a hornet 900 or b) keep the hornet 600

but i'm wierd!
  7. If you really want to change - ride everything you can. Don't just confine yourself to what you think you want. You might just surprise yourself.
  8. Oh, and in terms of pure performance (these numbers are from memory but pretty close - dyno tested not spec sheet):

Hornet 600 - 84hp
    Hornet 900 - 98hp
    VTR1000 - 97hp

So the leap in performance won't be huge, particularly given how light and tiny the 600 is.

You would notice extra grunt down low - but you'd get the same from the Hornet 9 - with the added bonus of a half decent top end.

Deano to come charging in to defend his ride in 5....4.....3....
  9. So the VTR is pretty low tech'.....?
    What other options would I have for around the $6k - $7k mark?
    I like the whole naked/ semi naked theme.
    Thanks for your opinions!
  10. SV??

TRX 850??

11. I can see where that comes from, the engine braking and torquey 'hook-up' of a big twin can chew tyres. But it is not true to say they will do so. It's a matter of how it's ridden, and most riders raised on multi's will change gear too early, which will chew tyres. Ridden smoothly however, big twins are no heavier on tyres than any other bike.

EDIT - I mean early on the way down, and late on the way up.
  12. The 900SS gets about 15000kms + out of a rear and more from a front.....don't make that your only consideration....
  13. Damn Lil must be easier on tyres than me, I get about 10k from a rear and about 12k for a front (Pilot Powers)
  14. Titus - I think it's fair to say that tyre wear for the same rider on two different bikes will be greater on the twin.

I think it's something to do with the greater separation of the larger power pulses from the engine. Each bang hooks up to the tarmac with a bit more of a grab than when double the cylinders hit with half the power.

15. Yeah, just look at all those tyre munchin Harleys.......
  16. You don't put soft tyres on a Harley. They don't have to go around corners.
  17. you mean "they don't have to go around corners.......quickly" :LOL:

18. I don't see GP or superbike Ducatis dropping out of races cos' they ate their tyres any more than the others?. If your bike is capable of delivering "power pulses" to the tarmac after them being delivered to the crank, smoothed by the flywheel, and absorbed by the chain flex and cush drive (if applicable), then I suggest it needs a bigger flywheel, and that your chain is too tight. If it really worked the way you suggest, you would be getting through chains and sprockets at a hell of a rate of knots.
  19. The whole tyre wear thing doesn't phase me in the slightest. I will only use it on sunny weekends anyway.
  20. The whole tyre wear thing doesn't phase me in the slightest. I will only use it on sunny weekends anyway.