Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hornet rear engine bolt

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Burla, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Hi all
    On picking up my hornet 250 yesterday after its first service (under my ownership) I was told that the rear engine bolt is missing. As soon as I found this out I contacted the place I bought it from and was told to bring it in to be fixed free of charge. This is all well and good but my concern is how long the bolt has been missing. I have owned it for five months now and have done some long trips on it. Is there any chance of internal damage being done becouse of this? How could something as integral as this get missed on the road worthy?

2. From memory, the two front engine bolts hold 80 odd % of the engines weight. Just get the rear bolt replaced and enjoy the bike.

3. cheers
    getting it fixed tomorrow so if the rain eases up ill get a good ride in this weekend

4. Youre lucky it's only the rear engine bolt, the front engine bolt is the killer, get them to check that one as well, you will definately need a mechanic for this job as you need a left hand ring spanner to reach the front engine bolt.

5. What I want to know is, what in the name of goodness was the rear engine bolt missing for???? And for 5 months?? I removed mine to replace it with another one to attach the engine bars, but I can't think of another reason why the bike wouldn't have one. The front mounts must be done up REAL TIGHT!!!

As scooter said, get them to check everything else while you're there; who knows what else they've left off???

6. I just reacently found out that on average %60 of second hand bikes sold in a dealership have been wreaten off b4 they made it to the shop!! Depending on who fixed it, some of the quality can be eeerrrr... The rear bolt on those engines stiffens the hole bike... I remember fixing a ZZR250, the previous mechanic forgot a bolt like it... the frame broke... (the owner of the bike was a courier and he realy pushed the bike to the max)

7. the bike only had 9000km on the clock when I bought it so unless someone absolutly thrashed it and its had a rebuild, I cant imagine another reason for it being out.

8. If the comp plate says SouthSide... I'll say with %90 certenty that the bike come here to australia as a wreck...