Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hornet 250 rear tyre

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jisk, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I rode a Honda Hornet 250 today at a bike shop, and one thing that really stood out was the size of its rear tyre - a 180/50 I think. It was much, much bigger than most 250s.

Is this standard on a Hornet 250 or has the rear wheel been replaced with one from a larger bike (e.g. a Hornet 900)?
  2. Stadard size buddy. 180/55 and it looks the goods too.
  3. The 600's rear tyre is the same size too!
  4. I believe there was a fault with the first few hundred 250 hornets, in which the bike would perform a stoppie when braking, due to the rear end being far too light, often resulting in double somersaults.
    Honda was reluctant to go back to the engineers for redesign, the launch date left no time for this.
    After days of brain-crunching they decided to make use of thousands of early cbr900 recalled swingarm and rear wheel assemblies they had lying around. The added weight solved the problem. Launch day was met.
    Just don't accelerate too quickly in any low gear. Backward somersaults can be just as nasty.
    I could be wrong however.

5. Hey, it's awesome that it's standard. It looks very cool, more like a "big" bike.

I liked riding the hornet just as much as a VTR250 (maybe even a little better).

VCM... that story sounds a little fishy :p :p
  6. Good to see you make an excellent choice mate!
    Enjoy the H250, it's an awesome bike!