Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hornet 250 Forks

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by cellipatch58, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Anyone know a place in Adelaide that will do a good deal on checking and if needed, revamping the forks on a 96 Hornet 250. Nothing is wrong with them just want to make sure the bike is perfect for the riding season. Full service has already been completed so the engine is in perfect shape! Done oil and filter, valve clearances checked, new brake pads put in, chain tightened and rear tyre brand new. Anything I've missed other than the forks?

2. I don't know anyone in Adelaide, but I can agree from experience with my 600 Hornet that a complete drain of the fluid and a flush out, and new springs and fresh oil does wonders for front end adhesion. You need all the fork help you can get with that skittery 16" front tyre.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Excellent. Now I'm not the most mechanically minded person so if I get all the parts together myself how much do you reckon a mechanic would charge to do it?
  4. If you did the valves yourself the forks will be a piece of piss to do! YouTube and Google are your friend for directions and how tos
  5. #5 Jakey Flake, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    I'm actually half way through doing the forks on my Hornet 250 right now. I paid $30 for the bushes from pyramidparts.com.au, $40 for genuine Honda oil/dust seals from a UK store, and whatever price for 10w fork oil from Supercheap. I'm a very amateurish home mechanic, this is the most complicated task I've taken up on a bike before, and so far it's been relatively smooth sailing. If you have done the valves yourself, this could be pretty achievable for you.

In case you do wanna do it yourself, I used this video as help:

I also have a workshop manual for the Hornet 600, (same forks), and a parts list for the 250 in pdf format if you're interested.
  6. Oh no I didn't do the valves myself! Should've wrote I paid a high fee to get all the work done to my bike. Jakey Flake if you could get that pdf to me that would be much appreciated!