Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hoon laws bite

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dan, Aug 17, 2006.

1. The Dishonour Role: (from http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/police-nab-pplate-hoons/2006/08/17/1155407925087.html)

- An 18-year-old suspended probationary driver from Epping allegedly performed a burnout in the Victoria Police impoundment warehouse when retrieving his car, which had been impounded because of the actions of a friend.

-Two drivers had their vehicles impounded after allegedly drag-racing one another on Dandenong Road. Police caught a car allegedly performing a burnout at an intersection and then racing a motorcyclist, reaching speeds of 140kmh in a 70kmh zone.

- A 38-year-old motorist allegedly performed a 30-metre burnout along Chapel Street, South Yarra only metres from a police road-block, involving three police officers wearing reflective vests.

-Another motorcyclist was intercepted by police after being caught travelling 140kmh along Queens Way, Windsor with a pillion passenger.

LOL @ 1 and 3 :LOL: :rofl:
  2. That was a bit cheeky :LOL:
  3. hows the bloke doing the burnout in the impound yard :rofl:
  4. well that's just dumb
  5. Gold! :rofl: I do hope it was a burnout to be proud of. Bloody legend! :LOL:
  6. What bites is that someone thought it was nessescary to bring in the 'hoon laws' and it went before a committee who agreed and approved them to go to legislature.
  7. How do you see it as not necessary? They only apply to drag racing (stupid), burnouts etc (stupid) or if you get caught at 45kmh or more over the limit (very stupid). Glad to have morons like that off the road.
    Do you really think people that are stupid enough to do a burnout in the impound yard or right in front of police or double the posted limit on regular roads are the kind of people you'd like to trust your life to when they are driving on the same roads?
  8. Yeah that one's brilliant, though part of me can't help wonder if maybe the cops are greasing up the tyres on impounded cars for fun (and repeat business).
  9. No, moreso that it was deemed nessescary to create a new set of laws and powers for the police specifically designed to target already illegal behaviours instead of altering the existing scope of the laws so the police can operate and successfully provide the safer environment without all or the media buzzwording and fuss generated from a shiny new set of laws that can come off as overbearing and possibly overstepping some of the margins between due process and overzealousness.

The police are unfortunately stuck in the middle in the situation where they are empowered and expected to act if they see something that is dangerous or contraveins (sp?) the laws for traffic however if they are the initiator(s) of the complaint they can be and often are perceived as being merely chasing unbased grudges or harassing persons who might be trouble stirrers but not nessescarily be breaking the law.

Yes drag racing is dangerous but there are already laws about speeding and dangerous driving in place which cover this so why create a whole new set, why not enforce the pre-existing laws or increase their scope if they are seen as inadequate?
  10. what's the stupid part? the speeding, or the getting caught? :grin:

11. A seventy nine word sentence, without blemish by punctuation of any kind. Is this a Netrider record? :)
  12. If you knew me you'd know that was only one breath worth anyway ;)
  13. Sith: Sorry misunderstood what you were trying to say first time.
    These laws aren't new though, only to Vic, they have been in NSW for some time now. If cops are repeatedly finding people doing stupid speeds, racing etc then obviously fines and points aren't enough of a deterrent so they move to target something that the offenders will have value on, their wheels. My brother is a TMU officer and the stories I hear about people who get booked for doing ridiculous speeds and stupid things and then they argue and abuse the cop (never going to end well!) as though its his/her fault for picking on them are astounding! Some of these idiots actually think its everyone else's fault except their own for their actions.
    It's unfortunate as you said though that the media beat up on it and make it much more of an issue than it needs to be.
  14. And WA....
  15. There were several pages in the papers on it and a few nights worth of coverage when it was first rolled out in W.A. Points are not much of a deterrant, fines only work for people who really can't afford them. Perhaps a system where the fine is indexed against your income might help, people with more money pay bigger fines for the same incident?

The catch is that confiscating the vehicle as a proceed of crime and impounding it without any other additional deterrent is likely to just lead the perpetrator borrowing, stealing, hiring another vehicle and doing the same. And if they don't own the car who is impounding the vehicle going to inconvenience.

Some people cling to one bad experience and colour all future experiences with the police with the same brush. Its part of learned human behaviour and unfortunately a very hard habit to break.

I've had one bad experience with the police but I have also had a lot of good ones and I still sometimes have a hard time not getting riled up when one pulls me over or flags me down for an RBT. *sigh*

Often the media does this, it is good that there are people around smart enough to pick the 'good' news from the 'bad'
  16. i was pulled over for sthg similar and was told on the spot they were going to impound my bike. luckily the TOGs were doing real work, retrieving a stolen car. so the constabulary decided they didn't want to wait in the freezing 1am weather and just promised me some tickets.
  17. They have a system like that in one or more of the European countries... i remember a story about some CEO of some big company getting a speeding fine for tens of thousands of dollars (vague memory) as it was indexed to his income.

The system does come with additional deterrent... if it is impounded for speed (ie 45kmh over) then the driver will be charged with dangerous driving or might even be more serious, i forget what the next charge up from that is. So you've lost your car, have to pay the towing and impound fees, automatic lose of licence, loss of points which may also lead to extended loss of licence and criminal charges which will mess up all future insurance and possibly job opportunities. When you think of all that you'd think it would be a pretty decent deterrent.... but that would require thinking which obviously some of these people mentioned the story are incapable of.

It might inconvenience someone else but again thats something that comes back on the person driving. My brother impounded a BMW doing 140kmh+ on the Prince Hwy in the middle of the day in Caulfield a while back and turned out the car was his wife's company car. the company owner was none too happy to learn the car had been impounded for speeding (the vehicle owner is the only one who can retreive the vehicle as well) and i'd imagine his wife was none too happy either. Serves him right i say.