Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

honing nsr 150 cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by nicka9x, Sep 23, 2009.

1. I am about to install new a piston and rings. The cylinder looks fine but since everything is now in pieces I thought it would pay to have the cylinder Honed. The cylinder honing tools that I have seen are fitted with 220 grit stones. 320 is available. Has anyone had their cylinder honed and what grit stone were used.

2. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the NSR has a nikasil cylinder or similar, in which case, I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to hone it or you might bugger up the coating.

3. Thanks for the reply patB
    I knew about the nikasil coating but did not know that it could not be honed. After doing some research on the net I found some interesting information about nikasil coating. After the plating is done, the bore has to be machined to the correct diameter. This machining process is what leaves the cross-hatch. If you attempt to hone a plated cylinder with a traditional hone, you will damage the bore surface. The hone can snag in the ports, chipping the edges of the plating. And instead of restoring the cross-hatch, the hone will simply smooth the ridges of the machined cross-hatch, giving you lesscross-hatch than you started with.
    I might just use a scotchbrite pad to clean up "piston residue" off the cylinder wall.