Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honesty or Stupidity

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by [FLUX], Dec 11, 2009.

1. Found this on another (US) forum. You decide as befits your moral compass.

I'm a member of another motorcycle forum and this user posted this story about his experience.

He ran from the cops, cop got into an accident, he turned himself in willingly despite being able to get away with it, is now paying big bucks. This guy has serious moral character and if you take the time to read the whole story, you'll understand what I mean. I've never met this guy and I don't even talk with him on the forum directly but I have to say that he is one of the top 10 people I have the most respect for in my life.

Long Story in his words:
    I made a mistake, and I manned up because of the circumstances. An officer crashed his car trying to catch me on my bike, and was fortunately unhurt. I turned myself in at the encouragement of my family. That's right. I caught myself. Not the police.

I think the unmarked Crown Victoria is about $12,000 or so, and the telephone pole is almost $5000. Wasted another $5000 on the best legal representation possible, which as I said, was a total waste.

That alone should be reason enough for you guys to be deterred from making the mistake I made, but if that's not enough, here's a reality check: what would have happened if someone had been hurt or even killed? It doesn't matter whether it would have been me that would have hurt or killed someone, or if the officer had been the one to hit a car head on and kill a family of four or himself for that matter... Had something unthinkable happened, I'd be responsible for it. You'd be responsible for it if you make that mistake. Not only would you ever be able to look at yourself in the mirror without thinking of how you impacted someones family, but you'd never see the light of day again. Not from outside of some sort of cage, anyway. That's not something you think about when you take that split second to think about whether or not you can get away or just pull over.

I'm pretty confident everyone has considered bolting when they see the blue and red lights, but most of us are responsible enough to pull over. I'll be the first to admit that there have been a few times where I knew I was going to get pulled over so I would bolt on side streets and just try to avoid more so than elude, but this incident was different. We've probably all sped past a state trooper on the highway at least once and maybe gotten off at an exit knowing the officer would be stuck behind cars... Right? Just hoping you wouldn't get nailed. Well, this was a little different. He was coming the other way, and I knew the roads very well. It was my stomping ground, and I knew I could get away. All I was thinking about was how bad it would have been to have been caught driving on a suspended license. I knew I was eligible to get my license back about 2 weeks from that day, and I just wanted to get my life together. Stupid me... I didn't think about how much worse I was making it on myself. Kind of funny, in that aspect, in hindsight. I was worried about the consequences about driving on suspended, not even thinking about a felony until it was too late.

I still remember vividly. We were on country roads, both going way too fast... I was way ahead, and assumed he had given up chasing me down at those kinds of speeds, so I'd slow down to minimize the risk of anything even worse happening... here he comes, not giving up... zoom zoom, gone again. That happened a few times, then I made up a lot of ground and he would have never caught me unless I had wrecked or made a mistake. I was probably close to a mile ahead of him when he apparently wrecked his car into a telephone pole trying to pass a car through a mild sweeping turn. It's easy to say none of that would have happened if he hadn't been too proud to admit defeat and follow the obvious steps to minimize putting the public in any more danger than they were already exposed to, but I take responsibility for being the root of all of it. I ran. Period. He wouldn't have been chasing if I hadn't been running. At the same time, I do wish he had just called ahead and not taken it so personally. When I turned myself in, I stuck my hand out and apologized and told him I was sincerely sorry for what happened and that I was glad he wasn't hurt... He turned his cheek on me--literally. I apologized in court and he wouldn't even look at me. He just nodded his head with jaws clenched. A lot of the public criticized his judgement, but his superiors backed him up 100% and he didn't have to take any responsibility for his mistakes. From my perspective, I take responsibility for all of it, but I'd like for someone else to admit that they were wrong and had poor judgement as well. I'm stuck with the bill for all of it... I did my time, I'm paying the fines, and I have to live with the consequences.

Stories like this leave me feeling inspired that there still are truly good selfless people with a conscience in this world. The man could have walked away scot free but he chose to do the right thing and he's surely paying for it.
  2. I'll be the first to admit that there have been a few times where I knew I was going to get pulled over so I would bolt on side streets and just try to avoid more so than elude

This turkey is a serial law-breaker, and has evaded the Police before, but he wants us to say what a good citizen he is for handing himself in once :roll:.
  3. do the crime - do/pay the time, simple
  4. I've got one type of respect for the person that pulls over and takes his lumps (my usual approach) - another type of respect for the person that nicks off when he hasn't done anybody any harm and gets away with it.

The cop was driving beyond his own capabilities in the chase, he brought the crash on himself. That's why there's clear guidelines on pursuit driving. I think the guy's a fool for not sticking with his decision, it's not like they're going to be nice to you just because you put a hand up. I vote stupidity.
  5. Tough one.

<_< I can see that side.

>_> I can see the other side.

I have to admit that I do have respect for his decision to own up and lube up... at least he wont have his conscience gnaw at him... but in this instance I'd say "stupidity" as well... (but only by a small margin)

Hornet, I presume you're casting the first stone then?
  6. respect for the guy. he's got integrity and manned up to his conscience.

on the other hand, f#@$k the cop for being such an a-hole. guy fkked up and blames it all on someone else. he drove the car, he messed up, his fault.
  7. are you serious? must be a nice view up on that high horse of yours.

At least he is being honest. Im sure 99% of us on here have done something wrong if not illeagal and attempted to cover it up
  8. I would say stupid, but I guess it's not up to us to judge what was right or wrong from his perspective... I still will though! :)

If his conscious told him to turn himself in,then so be it, but I can't help but wonder if he would have done the same thing if someone WAS seriously hurt. Obviously the punishment would have been much worse.
  9. Hornet, I presume you're casting the first stone then?

No, because I have never done what this dope did.

Im sure 99% of us on here have done something wrong if not illeagal and attempted to cover it up

I belong in the 1% category, hence my comment, which stands.
  10. never done anything wrong in 60-odd years? lol. I find that hard to believe, infact I believe 100% of people have at some stage. its human nature and i don't think anyone is above it.

Im not going to give this guy a handjob or anything i just think, we have all done silly things like that at one stage or another. I probably wouldn't run from the cops but I probably wouldn't own up if i did.

does that make me inhuman or just human?
  11. Its getting a little silly though when we morally equate going fast with the kind of moral burden youd feel if you actually killed someone
  12. haha, man what a douchebag...he deserves whatever penalty he copped just for being such a doufus about it...
    ...and the cop who binned it...well hey, he's an adult...he chose to drive like a tool...nobody made him do it.
  13. Most people dont think that the occasional 'avoiding being pulled over' is normal.
    I occasionally wonder if my 5km over the limit will get me nabbed if i happen to go past a copper right now, but in general im not worried that my actions on the road are going to land me in any real trouble.

If your constantly expecting trouble, riding while suspended, and happy to run from the cops if need be...... What kind of road user are you?

It doesnt take a selfless person to own up to their poor behavior. The responsible one is the person who simply abides by the rules. 5km-10km over = mistake. Having to run from the cops = Complete tool!
  14. Sounds to me like the guy is parroting some nonsense he was lectured about, rather than him actually considering the events that occurred.

Like when a kid repeats what he thinks the teachers want to hear him say.
  15. That whole 'article' reeks of chain email to me. I very much doubt it's true. If it is, the guy's a ****ing sucker, big time.

The cop lost that particular game - there's no point in trying to retract an action that you have already completed.
  16. Got license suspended - stoopid
    Rode while license suspended - stoopid
    Sped while license suspended - STOOPID (or something else to get him chased by the cop coming the other way...)
    Ran from cop - stoopid

Turned himself in - admirable? More stoopid? Dunno, but on balance, the guy seems like a twat to me. Philosophically taking responsibility in hind-sight doesn't really cut it.
  17. sheesh, my comments were directed specifically at what this dill did; my disclaimer was that I have never done anything like that, and was therefore comfortable to criticise him :roll:.
  18. Amazing how it doesn't seem to matter how stupid motorcyclists show themselves to be on this forum, it always ends up being the cop or the car driver's fault. Classic double standard at work here.
  19. Well it wasn't the motorcyclists fault for making the copper crash,
    he didn't tell nor force the copper to try a dangerous overtaking maneuver.

Sure the motorcyclist wasn't doing the right thing, but he did not cause the officer to crash.

If i was the motorcyclist, i wouldn't just laughed at his stupidity, in fact i am right now. Though i'd probably not run from the police in the first place, fessing up was stupid. Guilty? of speeding yes... but that is all
  20. Dunno if i'd ping it away... Probably circumstantial. If I was in an area that I knew well was aware that I had just been picked up doing a stupid speed like 200 I guess the adrenalin might convince me to give it a hit and try and escape.

However, i'm generally not silly enough to be doing such speeds and wouldn't roll on a suspended licence.