Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hondadude the noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Hondadude, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Hi everybody,
    I am a Noob here and am having a little trouble navigating Netrider, I ride a 96 Honda CBR900RR (919) which is an awesome bike, I am in the process of organizing a service so I stopped by to see the consensus of other riders recommendations etc and some tech tips. I like the tips and stories and hope to join others on a run down the Putty road sometime but I need to get my bike set up first.

So I need help with the biggest problem of the bike the 16" front rims! actually the problem is not the rims per se but getting rubber to fit. I am going to change to 17" rims but am not sure which are compatible. Can I throw any Honda 17" on or is there only a limited range of suitable candidates like the CBR600F3 or can I use the CBR600F4 which are my preferred 3 spoke choice (even though the rear is 5 spoke) it is confusing and I am starting to lose it. I have been offered VFR800 17" are they compatible? seriously it is riding me crazy.

I visited http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/Honda .htm and the specs are essentially the same.

Any hoo if you could help a noob it would be a boon.

2. welcome aboard :] cant help with the wheel info

3. I'd pop over to ozvfr.net.au and ask the question there, and in sure there are a couple of Fireblade forums too! In the mean time, welcome to Netrider.
    I know what you mean about the 16" front tyre problem: I had a '98 Hornet for over seven years and by the time I sold it only Dunlop and Bridgestone were making tyres in 16" format.

4. Welcome from another fellow fireblade rider and yes the 16" is a pain and have been contemplating swapping to 17" but haven't gone around to do deep research about it yet. Also won't mind doing some runs with you. Would be good to meet another cbr919 rider. [emoji16]

5. Welcome Hondadude, hop on this forum and do a search re front wheel as there is plenty of info regarding front wheel conversion.
    http://www.fireblades.org/

6. #6 Hondadude, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
    I went to this site the other week and looked at registering but was put off by all the very personal questions that they ask, like annual income etc but I will hit it again as a guest to solve this problem I am planning a major service and I want to get it right.

Sounds like fun, I don't see many CBR919's around mostly "scooters" not that I have anything against scooters they are great for some. But I like bigger bikes.

Will do, I need to sort it out soon, need to get the bike set up before Christmas riding time.

7. Thanks for the welcome all, I am rapt to find a site of kindred spirits. Those who don't ride don't understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Well since front tires don't wear out that quickly I reckon using tires like pirelli and bridgestones aren't too bad. Metzler makes them too. There's actually quite a wide range of tires and best of all most are touring tires so they do last a little longer on the roads.

9. Sorry I am a noob and don't know how to upload a pic