Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda VTR250 fuel...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bigchief, Jan 2, 2008.

1. When I bought my 2006 Honda VTR250 in Nov. '07 I was told by the previous owner to only fill up with Premium Unleaded, and to avoid Shell Premium Unleaded - as the VTR250 "didn't like it"... (advice given to him by Sydney City Motorcycles when he bought it there brandnew). As a consequence, so far I've stuck to BP and Caltex, where possible.

Question is, have other VTR250 owners been given the same advice, or had problems filling up with Shell Premium Unleaded?

2. Quick - do a search (under top banner) on fuel and shell fuel in particular. This has been discussed at length and others aren't as friendly as me so you may get "slammed" for not searching!

Quick! Go now! Vit vit!!

3. Yup.

Generally regular unleaded will suit your bikes compression ratio better than 95 or 98. That said, I tend to run a tank of bp 98 every few thousand kms, but only for the fuel additive, carb cleaning goodness (or my imagined goodness thereof) :grin:

Save yourself some money and only put regular in. I'm sure other vtr owners will confirm any gain/loss is imperceivable, if anything it should run better on 91.
  4. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I did do a search but as with similar discussion boards, you tend to come up with LOADS of unrelated discussions and you always have to sift your way through to find the useful ones.

Having said that, I did find a few useful replies on here. I have also thrown the question to Honda - so see if they reply.

5. For my VTR, I've been advised to use 95 octane around town (that's the middle premium if you will) and 98 if I'm going for a good long blat (this is the good stuff, the ducks nuts). Stay away from shell unless you're in the middle of nowhere and it's the only servo around!

And stay away from E10.
  6. I've definitely noticed that my bike runs worse on the 98 octane stuff, especially while commuting...
  7. mine gets 95 in it, same as the car, no pinging - cheaper than 98 and is cheap insurance
  8. I whack 95 in mine and she runs a treat. I try and stick to premium if only for the cleaning effect. You would be amazed to see the difference the two different fuels can give. 91 tends to leave more carbon deposits that can be noticed in the oil colour.
  9. This on your zx2r or on a vtr?

Can't compare the two when it comes to what fuel to use since the ninja engine is higher compression.
  10. Regular unleaded always was the recommendation for the VTR250. What does the sticker say on the tank? What does the manual say?

There is no performance or economy gain by using a higher octane fuel without making the performance mods to suit, such as increasing the compression ratio. 'Tis a bit hard to do on the side of the road... ;-)

Trevor G

PS We use any brand of regular unleaded - frequently Shell. Runs fine!
  11. This is the reply I received from 'Honda Motorcycle Service Division' today:

Dear Marco,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Honda Australia regarding the correct fuel to use in your VTR250.

Honda recommends running your motorcycle on Unleaded Fuel, whether it is standard or premium is your choice. in the past we have seen issues with certain types of Premium Unleaded fuels causing the spark plugs to foul if the motorcycle was left idling for long periods of time or only ridden short distance and not allowing the motorcycle to get up to full operating temperature.

This was because some of the early Premium Fuels were very dense, meaning that each drop of fuel was packed full of hydrocarbons (which makes the bang in the engine a lot bigger!) and if the motorcycle was left idle the build up of unburnt fuel left on the tip of the spark plugs would cause them to foul and stop the motorcycle from running. Most of the Premium Fuels these days have overcome these early issues.

I hope this information has been of some assistance.

Best Regards,
    Motorcycle Service.
  12. I think that bolded part might have been added by the office boy. ;-)

The general consensus (which agrees with the technical explanation not in bold) is that Shell Optimax, for one, gave symptoms of running richer. That does not affect the size of the "bang" (!!) but its quality. A rich engine usually produces a smaller bang (that is, less power). When racers want to extract the most power from an engine they lean it off.

The next line correctly describes the symptoms of a rich mixture - unburnt fuel left on the tip of the spark plug.

Trevor G