Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda VTR 250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by kyan, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Looking for a first bike and I am now leaning towards the VTR250 which i love the look of and it seems a pretty practical choice.

I will be buying secondhand as I have about 4-6k to spend.

Are there any year models to steer clear of? Or have they been pretty consistant over recent years?

With bikes, how many km is a lot? ie: A car with 10-20 000km on the clock is basically new, is it the same with bikes?

2. Generally I think 10 - 20k on the clock is considered 'low' km's for a bike. 60k is starting to look 'high'.

Thats my opinion anyway :)

Good bike choice, as far as I'm aware every year of the VTR is good.
  3. Whilst there are no hard and fast rules. The key thing you should look for is how the bike has been treated. Someone can do 20k hard or easy going. And it makes a massive difference to the lifespan of a 250.

The engine is the main wear point but do not forget the frame. Check for rust, stress marks and any impacts. Also suspension and swing arm (here for corrosion).

All in all 20k is reasonable, but evaluate it against the above stuff. Anything over 60k on a 250 should be almost scrap value (eg. no more than 2 grand for the bike). It might keep going till 100k, then again it might die in the ass when you get round the corner.

Just be aware with your hard earned mony
  4. Ignore kms to a certain extent, condition is more important.

Vtr250s havent really changed since they've come out to my knowledge.. Vtrs have been known to last up to and over 100k kms, but only when maintained fastidiously. For a used vtr, 20k is a good balance between kms, condition and price.
  5. How much knowledge is that :?:
  6. I believe the bikes are mainly unchanged except for the >01 models having a tacho.

Being a vtwin, you have cheaper rebuild cost than an i4, and I would aim for a bike with the lowest km posible in the 250 class, as most get ridden pretty hard. Look at how many km you plan on adding.
    ie: If you buy one with 40K on it, and you will do 20K per year, then factor in it might be starting to look tired, and perhaps cost some $$ to maintain after only 1 year of ownership.
    On the other hand, if you bought the same bike with 45K on it, and say only did 5K per year commuting, you would probably get 2-3 years out of it before it started to tire.

There are lots of these around for sale as learners upgrade, and you should get a pretty decent bike for your proposed spend. I would consider something a year or 2 older (assuming it is a tacho equipped model) with less km travelled than the later model with say double the km. The good clean ones usually sell quickly, so be prepared to travel, and have cash at the ready to secure a pristine used example.

Beats a loser cruiser :LOL: :LOL:
  7. +1 Tweet
  8. OOPS, i meant HASNT changed!! :rofl:
  9. everything he said +1, except that I'm pretty sure it's >03 that got the tachos
  10. :WStupid:

The '03 models introduced the tacho.
  11. 03 models also had revised rear suspension, and are a bit better than the 99-02 run. other than that yep tacho, a couple of other minor cosmetic changes and variations in paint schemes. not that i think pro pilot is a bad bloke, but even 60k kms on this bike the engine will still be strong, brakes and suspension may need attention, but that is why youll pay 2 grand less for a bike in this catergory. these motors are unchanged since the early 80's they are proven and indestrucatable. you'll frequently see spadas and VT250Fs with more than 120,000kms on them, and both of these motors are more highly tuned than the VTR's. but of coarse if the motor has been neglected, its not much good. the bikes as a whole otherwise are bullet proof, frame and suspension are strong and will survive all but the most critical of crash impacts.
    in terms of ridabilty. mmaaaaattteeeee! they are a fcuken awesome bike to ride. easy for a newb, but for a 250 still very capable in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. they will stop on a dime and carve a corner like there is no tomorrow. rough roads will need a bit more assertion from the rider as the suspension shows its cheapness, but no different to any other sports 250s, and certainly miles ahead of some of the shitty 250s on the market atm (ie honda cbf, in other words Honda Cant Be Farked making good bikes any more) and brakes better as well, not to mention shit tins more power in relative terms. in terms of maintinance they are a very simple and fuss free bike to look after, accesabilty is awesome. the only bike that might be easier to work on would be a trail bike. ive really enjoyed learning about the bike by doing all my own maintinance. like i said before stick to the maintinance schedule (with at least a bit of mechanical knowledge and the right tools) and these bikes just wont stop.

from what i have heard the 99 models are a little bit more heavy on the juice than the other ones. like tweet said, if you are planning on doing alot of kays, the least amount of kays possible on the bike you buy is best. the other good thing about a low kms bike is there is less chance for it to be neglected. i got mine with 15000kms, its about to pass 57000kms when i take it home tonight. i never thought i would do so many kays in the 15 months i owned the bike as a newb, but riding turned out to be something that consumed my life. and i have intended to keep for a while yet even though its parked next to its big brother firestorm in the garage (i loved the VTR so much i couldn't dream of getting anything else when i got my full license)

ive done everything with thise bike, lve done long distance touring, scratching (and keeping up with much bigger bikes) and my daily ride to work and uni. and it has never left me out in the cold, except that one i was experimenting with the reserve capacity :LOL:

these bikes kick arse. there is a reason they are so expensive and worth every dollar you spend on them. the 5 grand i spent on mine i have not for one second regretted it.
    all you other wankers can have your cbr250 3 gazillions rs and you wanna be gixxer seizure 500s. ill take my little ugly hoarse bastard any day of the week.

no i am not biased :LOL: :cool:
  12. My VTR just cracked 70 000 last week and is still going strong, they're pretty bulletproof, I picked mine up for under $4000 (i forgot the real figure)

They're the best learner bike around, reliable, enough power to have fun with, great for commuting, a bucket of fun in corners. It's a really confidence inspiring ride.
  13. You cut it short Dom, here's the rest of the transcript:

Vote VTR250 this election.
    Spoken by idontlikemondays on behalf of the VTR250 fanboy party.

But, it's all true, awesome little bikes...
  14. Mine has done 28000 ks and the only thing done to it is regular servicing and a valve clearance check at 24000. Still as good as the day I bought it. :grin:

Can I join the party? :LOL:
  15. thanks for all of the info everyone. you are a wealth of knowledge.

after all those glowing reports, how could i not get one!!!
  16. An inline 4 sportie or, at the long end of your budget and if you're in a LAMS state, an RVF, will last you longer on the learning curve...cat, meet pigeons :LOL:
  17. hello there,

hope my comment is not too late.

vtr250 is probably the best bike for learner out there and its a honda. enough said. so can we create vic vtr250 club now? :LOL: and go mt dandy together
  18. Go the VTR, you won't regret it! :grin:
  19. So...you get better than 27 k/L at 110 kmh?

Trevor G

PS That's on our 99 at 30,000 km
  20. Maybe. Then again, the VTR250 is so much fun I frequently rode it instead of my 650, and I finished my learner days several decades ago.

Now my L son rides it - he laid claim to it back in 2002 when I first got it. He doesn't want to give it back, either. ;-) So I have to fang the NSR150 around. It's great fun, too!

Trevor G

...when having fun means riding smaller bikes again