Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda VTR 1000 Electronic Converter Box?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by npw112, Nov 21, 2011.

1. My new 2002 Honda Firestorm stopped at the lights and wouldn't start. Had to get it towed home. This all happened less than 24 hours after I bought it

Checked the battery and fuses and they were all good. Not knowing too much more about troubleshooting on bikes I took it to a well spoke of local independent bike mechanic.

They said it was the converter that they want to charge me $350 for a used converter "from Melbourne" that has "3 months warranty" as well as $100 troubleshooting/labour fee. They went on to say that they were giving me the converter at cost price.

Now I have no problem paying $100 for troubleshooting but upon calling the only bike wreckers in town and asking what the converter would cost they asked "Is your bike at ########" I of course said no and they told me $250.

I don't know what to do? Tell the mechanics not to order the part and get the bike back after paying $100 for troubleshooting and replacing the part myself? Or just let the mechanics finish the job and pay the full $350+$100?

Has anyone else had to replace this part? What did you pay for it?

I hope this is the last electrical fault I have to deal with for a while. I mean it's a 2002 Honda not a 1980's Ducati

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Converter box???? I've never heard of it - I'm assuming they mean the regulator/rectifier?
    If that's what they mean then if you get a stock replacement then it will just fry again down the track.
    You can do a mod where you fit an R1 R/R to your honda, not 100% sure if it will fit the VTR but could be worth doing some research on. should be able to pick one up for less than what they're trying to steal from you...

3. I took it upon myself to buy a regulator/rectifier for the bike (after reading that this is THE electrical issue with the storms) to see if that worked before I took it to a mechanics.

What I think they are referring to is this http://www.simpsoncycles.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22193

The mechanic explained on the phone that is provides charge to the Coils. Does this make sense?

The mechanic explained on the phone that is provides charge to the Coils. Does this make sense?

4. Ok so it is the Ignition switching box then, there are two boxes in the VTR1000 one management controller with the smarts in it and the one you refer to which actually does the switching of the coils. It depends on how quickly you want your bike back, I know a repairer in NSW that will repair them or offer a reco but I will have to dig it out or you later today. But a turn around is probably going to be a week on a repair.