Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda VFR Questions

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Jez79, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hiya, hope I have this in the right Forum. Can anyone confirm that If we change chain on a 93 VFR should we also do sprockets? (They aren't bad, but should they be done together?)

Also, can anyone recommend a chain brand for this type of bike or will any good quality one do?

PS. Anyone know where I can get a tank bra for said 93 VFR in red?

Thanks in advance.

2. I would check on ozvfr for specific vfr info, but as a rule the chain and sprockets tend to wear together and often ARE changed together....

3. If you change the sprockets and the chain separately, then you'll probably find the new part wears out faster

4. Change them as a set, normaly on a road bike the sprocket starts to wear more quickly BECAUSE the chain is stretching.

Birt bikes are a bit diferent as the sprocket can wear due to them running in dust/mud etc

5. Best to do sprockets and chain. I currently use a DID ZV112 on my 98 viffer. Also fitted a scottoiler 44K ago and havent had to adjust the chain yet so early indications are they are as good as the marketing claims. At that rate I will get back the cost ($200) in little more than one chain. The last chain I used was an EK XWS530 ($380)and it only lasted 33K so cost isnt a guide to chain life.