Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda VFR 1200 or something similar?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by oblriding66, Mar 23, 2016.

1. I am wanting to upgrade from my Suzuki Gladius 650 and am looking for a fairly newish sport tourer type bike (2014 or newer). I haven't been riding for that long, but the little 650 is just too small and not comfortable enough for longer rides, although I do like the more upright position (I'm 6' and around 100kgs). I don't know an awful lot about bikes, more into the old cars really, and I don't intend on tinkering around on my bike in the shed for hours, hence the need for a newer bike. I like the look of the Honda VFR1200, but understand it's pretty heavy, and the ride position is possibly lower than I am looking for. There don't seem to be many around for sale either, which possibly means people are holding onto them because they're a decent bike.
    Does anyone own a VFR1200, or something like it, and can provide any advice? I'm told a BMW1300 rates well against it, but it may be outside my budget.

2. iClint owned one for quite a while.....
  3. I think there aren't that many around because they didn't sell too well either.

Have you considered a Ninja 1000?

I wanted the opposite of you and wanted a bent forward position. Ninja 1000 is very upright and I didn't want to mess around with changing the bars so I passed on it, may suit you though.
  4. Yes, the Ninja's seem to be pretty common too. Hard to get a test ride on the Honda here too, which makes it a bit more difficult. Will spend some time taking some for a test ride next weekend.