Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda trials new V2P and V2M technology for motorcycles

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Sep 2, 2013.

1. There is a global push for road vehicles to talk to each other and to road infrastructure. Honda just released a press release about their efforts for motorcycles.

I'm not a fan of dumbing down the road even more by giving roadusers electronic solution to basic road skills. Nor am I fan of providing technology that allows every movement to be tracked.

What do you think?

= = = = = = =

http://www.just-auto.com/news/honda...tm_campaign=rss-feed&utm_content=technologyrd

US: Honda demonstrates V2P and V2M safety tech

By Dave Leggett | 30 August 2013

Honda has demonstrated two experimental safety technologies aimed at reducing the potential for collisions between automobiles and pedestrians and between automobiles and motorcycles.

These advanced Vehicle-to-Pedestrian (V2P) and Vehicle-to-Motorcycle (V2M) technologies, while still in the research and testing phase, demonstrate Honda's vision to advance safety for all road users, including pedestrians and motorcycle riders, as well as automobile occupants. These new technologies are part of a comprehensive effort being undertaken by Honda to develop leading-edge safety and driver assistive systems that can help predict and avoid traffic accidents through advanced sensing and communications technologies.

"While these are still experimental technologies, they provide a strong indication of the future potential for the kinds of advanced collision sensing and predictive technologies Honda is developing to further reduce the potential for serious accidents, injuries and even fatalities," said Jim Keller, chief engineer for Honda R&D Americas, "These V2P and V2M systems are part of Honda's broad vision for smarter and safer vehicles and roadways."

Press release

Honda has demonstrated two experimental safety technologies aimed at reducing the potential for collisions between automobiles and pedestrians and between automobiles and motorcycles.

These advanced Vehicle-to-Pedestrian (V2P) and Vehicle-to-Motorcycle (V2M) technologies, while still in the research and testing phase, demonstrate Honda's vision to advance safety for all road users, including pedestrians and motorcycle riders, as well as automobile occupants. These new technologies are part of a comprehensive effort being undertaken by Honda to develop leading-edge safety and driver assistive systems that can help predict and avoid traffic accidents through advanced sensing and communications technologies.

"While these are still experimental technologies, they provide a strong indication of the future potential for the kinds of advanced collision sensing and predictive technologies Honda is developing to further reduce the potential for serious accidents, injuries and even fatalities," said Jim Keller, chief engineer for Honda R&D Americas, "These V2P and V2M systems are part of Honda's broad vision for smarter and safer vehicles and roadways."

Honda also has been conducting advanced research into Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) systems and is a partner in the Connected Vehicle Safety Pilot Programme conducted by the US Department of Transportation, including the Department's Safety Pilot Model Deployment test programme, currently underway in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Vehicle-to-Pedestrian (V2P) technology
    Honda R&D has successfully demonstrated the ability of a car equipped with Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) technology to detect a pedestrian with a DSRC enabled smartphone. This Vehicle-to-pedestrian (V2P) technology uses cooperative communication between an individual's smartphone and nearby vehicles and provides auditory and visual warnings to both the pedestrian and drivers. The system is designed to mitigate the potential for a collision between the vehicle and pedestrian.

Using the pedestrian's smartphone GPS, its dynamic sensing capability and DSRC wireless technology in the 5.9GHz band, the pedestrian's smartphone and nearby vehicles establish a communications channel to determine if the pedestrian is in danger of being struck by an oncoming car. The V2P system is effective even when the pedestrian is not easily detectable by the driver, such as when stepping off a curb from behind a parked vehicle or other traffic obstruction.

A proprietary smartphone application determines the position, direction and speed of the pedestrian and, using DSRC technology, the position of surrounding vehicles. In the event of an impending collision as determined by the smartphone application, the system alerts the pedestrian via a repeating, high-volume beep and a warning on the screen of their smartphone. At the same time, the system alerts the driver to the potential collision with an audible alarm and visual warnings on the vehicle's heads-up display and navigation screen. In addition to the basic safety warnings, the vehicle can also receive information on whether the pedestrian is texting, listening to music, or on a phone call.

Vehicle-to-Motorcycle (V2M) technology
    Using the DSRC communication system, Honda's Vehicle-to-Motorcycle (V2M) technology can determine the potential for a collision between a motorcycle and an automobile. The V2M system's advantage is its ability to sense the presence of a motorcycle even when it is obstructed from the view of nearby automobile drivers. The system provides auditory and visual warnings to the automobile driver. This system is being researched and tested in cooperation with the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute.

Honda pedestrian safety technology
    Honda has been a leader in the research and application of advanced pedestrian safety designs, including development of Polar II, the world's most advanced pedestrian safety crash test dummy. Pedestrian accidents account for approximately 13% of the 33,000 traffic fatalities that occur each year in the US and an even higher percentage of traffic fatalities in many other countries with denser populations and more foot traffic. For more than a decade, Honda and Acura vehicles have been applying advanced pedestrian safety features, such as collapsible hood hinges and breakaway windshield wiper pivots that can contribute to life-threatening head injuries in pedestrian collisions.

Original source: Honda

2. And pedestrians who don't have a smartphone or don't always carry their phone with them as still at risk, and chances are they are the most vulnerable pedestrians being young children and the elderly.

What technology needs to be on the bike for this to work?

I'm in 2 minds about it. On one hand if it helps prevent collisions then why not, on the other hand if people were firstly trained properly and drove/rode properly there would be no V2P or V2M collisions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Actually I reckon the people with smartphones are the most at risk as they are the same people who cross a road while looking at their phone.:rolleyes:

4. Lots of questions here around how it will filter out false positives too. Let's say I'm filtering. Will there be a line of cars now getting the shits cause I'm making their car beep at them? While it would be good for them to know I'm coming, having a warning system set up in a way that makes you need to ignore some warnings will mean people will learn to ignore warnings... (obvious I know). Will it detect the direction of the object (person/MC etc) in relation to the car? If a car is stationary and something is moving toward it, will it detect it? If it's like parking sensors working as a simple proximity warning, it will do little more than create distractions and more "noise" for people to filter out. What if I drive past a car and a passenger has a smartphone with this enabled. Will I get beeps then too? Lots of questions.

5. It's a shams Honda make such good bikes cause its clear their hearts not in if anymore... They should stick to robots.

6. In principle, I agree with Rob and Mick that proper driver training is a better option than automating basic skills. However, the realist in me says that car drivers, as a species, have had well over 100 years now to develop those basic skills and yet the apparent majority still haven't, even in countries with more stringent training requirements than Oz. I see no reason to believe that they will improve significantly at any point in my remaining lifetime and so I'm forced to the conclusion that maybe it's better, in the real world, to have as many functions as possible in the hands of technology.

As for the civil liberties/tracking issue, that's a whole different teapot full of eels. However, concerning though it is, OECD populations in general seem happy to provide personal information of all kinds to the world at large and so I don't see enough people getting hot under the collar about it to make a toss of difference whether individuals like thee and me like it or not.

7. Guess it depends what the info is being used for- for of against the individual.

No problem with AI driven cars - as long as I'm allowed to be a drunk passenger.

8. Honda has lost the plot.

The pedestrian gets distracted by their phone and stops to see what it says then bang they are hit by a car.

9. I don't mind this sort of technology but I'd take it one step further and turn the pedestrians phone into something like taser gun(?) :eek: . So it stuns them and prevents them walking in front of a vehicle and we keep moving.

• Like Like x 1
  10. But I already have V2P comms.

I lift my visor and scream "get out of the fcuking way, moron!"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Does that mean I no longer have to wait to cross the road.

Which is why it wont work, humans will take advantage.

12. Hang on, please.

Sorry to be so dense but does this V2P rely on the pedestrian (do any of us know any?) running some app on their smartphone, or does the system just pick smartphones out of the ether?

13. No, they just make useless shit up as they go along.....then try to ram it down our throats......

Long live the 2 stroke, I say..

14. Best comment I've seen here for a while. :)

15. I see a couple of problems with these technologies

1. while in theory they seem great and would prevent many accidents but there is a lot of potential to abuse the technology

for example: if some cock bag in his SUV wants to charge through traffic like he owns the road will the technology simply allow him to do this by causing everyone around him to emergency brake as he cuts people off?

2. Pedestrians who think their shit don't stink can just step out infront of your car and cause it to emergency brake and give them the right of way?

16. Me too.

Right up until he meets up with a bigger, older SUV that doesn't have this technology and creams into him.

Aye, but they'll have to be able to pick a new model Honda from all the older cars without all this tech stuff..... and they won't get too many chances to be wrong! ;)

17. have a look at charlie boorman's epic 'race to dakar' (its on youtube actually)

the motorbikes have an alarm when the cars are coming up behind at a rate of knots, basically it means 'getthef uckouttathewayorelse'

its like real life mad max,
    cars, bikes, trucks, choppers, planes, every which way but loose out in the desert, just madness

18. This V2P / V2M crap sounds like an expensive party trick to me. The trouble is that people will come to rely on it, so if it fails, crashes are virtually assured.

19. #19 Roarin, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    Just like ABS brakes right? Tee he he he. Someone had to say it.

Actually, I've had time to think about it, and I now see it for what it is. A sinister plan by Honda to work on getting it mandated, make huge profits, and take over the world, ending civilization as we know it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Since we have a luddite pile on....

Did anyone else see that Air Crash Investigation programme the other night where the autopilot put the plane into a nose up landing stall at 2000ft because it got confused by bad data and the plane fell out of the sky. If they can't get a $10 million dollar plane right....

• Like Like x 1