Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda Spada valve clearance check/adjustment

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Brando, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Hi Everyone. I'm looking for some information regarding the valve clearance on my Spada. Specifically a special tool that my manual says I need to do the valve clearance check properly.

The manual says I need a camshaft lifter tool part no. 07GMG-KV00100. And I can't find any information on it on line. I found a link to an ad for one with no picture and another link where a guy was asking if it was needed, unfortunately he never got around to checking his valves in the thread.
    Apparently some early VFs needed them but they don't have the same part number so I'm not sure if they're the same tool.
    This is the tool used on the VF's

So my questions:
    What exactly does it do? From what I can gather (and as it's name suggests) it lifts the cams slightly so you get a more accurate measure for when you're adjusting the valve clearance.

Is the tool required to get the correct valve clearance or can I do the valve check without it?

I've watched a few videos on the subject and it seems easy enough to do but without knowing anything about this tool I'm a little hesitant to adjust the valve clearances. Checking the clearance shouldn't be a problem though.

Any information about it would be appreciated.
  2. Seeing as this post is four months old you've probably found your answer already but just in case... I do the valves on my Spada without this special tool. I use a spanner, a screw driver and a set of feeler gauges.
    • Informative Informative x 1