Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda Spada fuel problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by dedmn80, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Rode the bike going well. Put fuel in and rode another 30 odd kms then sitting at a set of lights just tapped throttle the engine died. started first go and kept riding. From then on started to sound flat like a 2 stroke with to little revs and found myself with a flat spot and having to ride like a 2 stroke. This was about 11:15 last night. Any ideas whether it could be dirty fuel or something else like flattening battery odr even blockage in the fuel lines. After some advice as need the bike as a daily. Cheers in advance.

2. Carbs or Injected?

• If carbs rev hard to pull any crud through.
    • Possible bad fuel, if so you may need to drain tank, leave this till last resort.
    • In line filter blocked with crud.
    • Water in tank, throw a capful of methylated spirits into the tank to bind with the water.
    This time of year it could be electrical, Winter is hard on batteries. The fuel may just have been coincidence. Get a multimeter.
    1. Measure battery voltage with bike off, should be about 12volt.
    2. Start bike measure battery voltage with engine at idle should be about 12- 13 volts
    3. Rev engine to cruising revs battery voltage should be 13.5 - 14.5 volts.
    Welcome to the forum, when you get a chance post a introduction thread in the Welcome lounge. It is the custom on the site and it also helps your account upgrade to full member status quicker.

3. It is carb and thanks will give it a look at

4. I say bad fuel, and if there is an inline filter, change it and see what happens before pulling carbs apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Before you pull the carbs off, try draining the bowls and watch to see if globs of stuff drain out with the petrol. Sometimes this is enough to sort out contaminated fuel. You may have to do this a few times, and if the fuel is really bad you'll have to drain the tank and dismantle the carbs.

6. The inside of the tank is probably rusty like mine, get a new inline filter.
    Draining the carbs is good but I found lots of sediment in the bowls even after draining.
    Cleaning the carbs out made a big difference to mine, can't recommend it enough.