Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda SPADA - front Brake light - RWC Question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Hartski, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Front brake does not set off brake light, rear foot peddle does set of brake light so ive just been slightly jumping on the rear brake every time i pull the front.

Its a new bike and i need to organise a road worthy before i can transfer it into my name. will this fault need to be fixed before the road worthy can be done?

Any ideas?

2. Um yeah, of coarse it needs to be fixed. The brake light switch has probably gone. About 30 bucks from a dealer.

3. Definitely needs to be fixed for a roadworthy.

4. ok cheers,

think there will be much labour involved in replacing?

.....old bikes and electrics suck. should of picked this up when i bought it! bugger.

5. Don't be too hard on yourself, you might be able to fix it yourself.

There should be an electrical connection going into the brake section of the master cylinder on your right handlebar; that is your front brake light switch. If you can get inside the wiring section, check and see if all the connections are ok, not rusted or oxidised maybe spray a little WD-40 on them and try again......

6. ok thanks,

i know the master cylinder,
    it makes a slight click when its first compressed so i assume this is the electrical switch inside the cylinder, will pull apart and have a quick look see.... as long as theres no chance of brake fluid flying every where?

7. No, the electrical part is separate to the brake fluid part

8. Got it, just had a quick look, its attached under the master cylinder with two wires connected, with a small switch thats activated when you pull the brake lever, wires look good will pull off the connections give a clean and put back on, assuming i can find this part i should be able to change over my self. if cleaning does not fix the problem....

thanks for your help :)

9. Problem fixed.

pulled off the whole switch (with ignition still on - WOOPS - it sparked a little quickly killed ignition. Cleaned connections on switch with WD-40 (thanks) put back on and bingo now have a front brake light.

Thanks for your help people you just saved me a fair bit of cash :)

faith in old bikes completely restored :)

UPDATE: Problem back, when ever i clean and replace the brake light comes on with the first compression of the brake lever. So it must be shot. have ordered another from peter stevens that will cost me $19. will replace my self. Switch is probably close to 20 years old, so figures thats its rooted.

10. Netrider: Connecting Riders....

and dodgy electrical stuff :LOL: