Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda Spada - Cracked Sump Caseing

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by trigger184, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Im an idiot. I tightened the sump bolt to tight and now have a hairline crack in the casing.

Does anyone know if this can be repaired? or do I need a new one?

Anyone got one the dont need?

2. leaking oil? prolly go wreckers if you want another one. if you want i guess u can get it repaired...but might be cheaper to get one from wreckers
  3. There is a product called JB Weld which claims to be suitable for this sort of repair. Basically just an epoxy resin like Areldite but it tolerates much higher temperatures. I have heard of it being used in all sorts of weird engine repairs and with claims they worked. Google it and you should find the relevant info and endorsements.

I got some from Bursons to do some repairs to a fairing. Cost about $20 if I recall correctly.

Might be worth a try.
  4. That sounds like a great idea....I've read of people on ADVriders etc using JB weld for these sorts of things, have no idea if it would be considered a long term repair or not....

Just keep an eye on the repair....wouldn't want oil leaking under the rear wheel on the move, or to seize the thing by accident after it lost all it's oil
  5. you could take it off and take it to an engineers to repair it. Should be weldable, by someone qualified. While its off go to a wreckers and pick up a "spare" just in case.