Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

honda rvf400??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ethan 107, Jan 4, 2009.

1. can anybody that has one let me know how they go and how reliable they are??
    ethan :)

2. i think the problem is finding one that hasent been tracked as they're 400cc track fav's...
  3. At your age I'd be getting a quote for what insurance will cost for one first - might make you think twice about getting one.
    You also have to wonder why anyone would pay the prices usually asked for a 15 year old RVF when a brand new CB400 isn't much dearer.
  4. Insurance will be very, very expensive. It's classed as a grade 6 with many insurers, which means the highest risk category. Probably 2k with many reputable companies.

So many better choices of bikes out there, but if you want it...
  5. thanks for everybodys help
    what do u think would be a better option maybe cbr250rr??

6. Just as over-priced, almost as expensive to insure.

If you want something with fairings the best options are either a GS500F, Suzuki Across or a GPX/ZZR/Ninja 250. All good, well made bikes with plenty of potential to learn on - but without the ridiculous mark-up of the more sought after "sporty" learner models (which in the hands of a learner are no faster than any other 250 anyway).
  7. yeah thanks man
    ive been around bikes most of my life as my dad has a 2004 yamaha r1
    but yeah cbr250rr and rvf400 are just way to expensive to insure thanks for everyones help
    ethan :grin:

8. CBR250RR is a tricky one.

With several insurers it's rated the same as the RVF, R6, Hayabusa etc due to it's claim history. Others, usually newer to the market and more keen to secure business have it as a grade 3 or 4. Worth calling around.

But like the others said, equally overpriced.

Jesus, when someone slaps on a fairing to a CB400 they'll sell gazillions of them down here.
  9. They go like stink and handle extremely well. Find one in good condition and buy it if you can. Fastest learner legal bike in my and most other people's opinions. Yes they're more expensive than cbr250rr, and harder to find in good condition. Worth it? Yes.
  10. Nah, it's not worth it.

You'll have the fastest learner legal bike in the range, but if you'll be slowpoke rodriguez for the first year anyway, by which time you'll be off, can pocket the 4 grand difference between your rice burner and something practical and get yourself a GSXCBR1.
  11. Haven't ridden one have you? :p They seriously are so much better than 'normal' learner legal bikes. Riding one you wouldn't guess they're allowed for learners, just as fast as my SV somehow, and potentially seriously faster in the corners.
  12. Well technically they are not learner legal, but they're on the LAMS list so that's all that matters.
  13. Don't know if I would suggest someone buy one as a first bike to learn on.... YOU WILL DROP IT... but after 12 months of riding on a smaller bike, best LAMS bike around.

They are incredibly quick weigh close to the same as a CBR250 and corner like nothing else. oh yeah, plus you will get street cred with the bigger Fireblade, R6 and R1 riders.

When buying one, just look out for signs that it's been tracked (most of them have). If it has, it's not the end of the world, check the chazie is straight, breaks are ok etc. Use common Sense.

14. Great, that's like having being told you have a cool pension card holder by someone with downs.
    Lose the ego and use some common sense and you'll avoid all except the most unavoidable crash.

I never dropped my Acrosses , nor my GSXR and don't intend to.
    My only claims have been for theft and vandalism.
  16. It's an alloy frame though. It's not bends you need to worry about but fatigue cracks, and they're not going to be easily spotted by the average buyer (even professionals have been known to miss the very small ones on occasions).
  17. if you dont believe how good CBR250's / RVF400's are try one out.
    you will have a darky smeared on the back of your pants if you are a noob a rev the crap out of one.

i have a cbr and ill tell you that they are great bikes. if you drop one (very easy to do) and you are a tightarse (arent we all) you can grab a whole set of chinese fairings off ebay, delivered to your door, painted in wicked colours for about 500 bucks.

if you want to go dear you can grab tyga fairings which look tits!

the RVF however is a very powerful bike. much more grunt than the cbr. ive come to grips with the cbr. the power is decent above about 9000rpm. the handling is pretty damn good too. i test rode an rvf once. its hard to explain the feeling of tipping one into a turn but it glides in, rock solid. they are great to ride and the V4 engine has serious grunt for a learner bike.

my mate has a 2007 gs500. they feel like you are sitting on the couch, and it runs out of steam very quickly. it has grunt down low but nothing after about 6 or 7k revs. the handling is a bit squishy, and while having good tip in, doesnt hold a line so easily. very different to the solid and reassuring handling of the cbr / rvf where you pick a line and it will hold it very firmly while still being easy to change.

i havent ridden a zzr or gpx but i can imagine them being more like the gs500.

go test ride some and use the majority of the rev range if you can. it'll show you what they are all like. i seriously recommend the RVF or if in doubt a CBR for sure. if you can afford an RVF it is an absolute WEAPON!