Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda PCX125 overheating

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Glenda, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Hi,

I'm running in my new Honda PCX125 and I've had the engine overheat light come on a few times.

The first time the bike had less than a 100k's on it and I was riding up a few low hills. I pulled over and the light went out within a few minutes. I checked the water reserve tank and the oil and they were OK.

The bike has run like a dream up until today. The bike had about 270km on it and I was throttling hard up some very steep hills. The bike was accelerating well up the hills and running very smoothly but once again the red engine light came on. I pulled over and left the engine idling and the light took about 3 to 5 minutes to go out. It did this on the 2 biggest hills and then it ran great for another 30 k's (mostly flat) until I got home. The water and oil levels are OK.

Apart from the red engine light the bike has been great. And no, I weigh less than 75 kilos so I'm not overloading the bike.

I've had a chat with the Honda sales guy and he said that it was OK and that there were "a few tight bearings running in"

Is this a normal part of running in a bike?
    Or should I take it in for a service?

Thanks for your help
  2. Cooking a motor is not great for it. For mine I would have it checked out under warrenty. It should not overheat. Could be as simple as a loose wire. Or as bad as a stuffed thermostat. Don't know but a new bike can get warm. Not hot.
  3. I am up to 950km on my PCX. I haven';t had that problem. I live in the Dandenong Ranges and commute to work, which is a 40km trip, I use the freeway as well. My speedo is out by 8km. I noticed it using up a bit of oil.
  4. take it to the dealer, obviously has issues....