Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda NSR250 for the Track?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by becks_7, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Hi all,

I am looking to start going to the track and have a bit of fun. My weapon of choice is hopefully going to be a Honda NSR250 MC28 if I can find one for the right price.

My only worry is the availability of parts here in Australia. I don't want to be waiting months on end should I need a part.

Can someone give me some insight into this bike for the use and abuse on the track?

I would also like to have the option to ride this on the road, but not everyday as I already have a road bike.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Any reason against a RGV?

Probably lots more parts available in Australia and same class as the NSR.

You can get NSR bits from TYGA online but have to wait a bit for delivery since it's overseas, I'd say maybe a week or two, not months.
  3. Just had a read of this.

Quite informative if you haven't seen it already.

I'd still recommend an RGV having owned one. You can still get some decent late models with features that are more modern than the NSR.

If you can find a RS250 in your price range then you have a track weapon, you won't be riding it on the streets legally though.
  4. Get an RGV. Not *quite* as fancy, but LOADS of parts available.

You WILL need parts. If you don't fall off or blow the motor, you'll wear the motor out and need rings, pistons, bearings, crank, gearbox, etc etc eventually.

The RGV were king of the 250cc production bike category for ages, then eventually it handed over to the Aprilia RS250 (same motor, different frame etc).
  5. There were at least 3 rgv's racing at the last Interclub round at broadford. They seem to be making a comeback.
  6. I agree with everything you guys say about the RGV...but seldom do I see NSR250 on the road, and I do want to ride it on the road.

I have written both bikes on the road, and I find the NSR a lot of "flickable" and easy to ride, maybe because it is lower in its seating and I am not a tall person by any means.

Anyhow, RGV is an option but NSR is my first preference. Obviously if parts are not readily available and it will end up costing me a LOT more money, then this option is not viable.

I do want to explore this option fully first, hence this thread :grin:

Thanks for all your comments, keep them coming!
  7. Unless a suspension expert set both up for you it's not really a good test for what will be the better track bike for you. Did they have the same tyres? Same tyre pressure etc? Variables in those areas could make one seem a lot better for you when really the other could be if set up similarly, get what I'm saying?

Whatever you end up with you want to take to a decent workshop and have them set the bike up for you. Only then will you find it's true "flickability".

Also did RGV you compared have conventional forks or inverted?

I'd find it hard to see the Hondas handling as well as the later model RGV's with their more modern suspension.
  8. That's very true. I understand what you are saying.

When you say last models RGV? What year are you talking about? Still talking about VJ22 or VJ23?

Thanks for all your comments so far, it's been insightful.
  9. I own an NSR SP21 that has spent most of the last 4 years as a track bike. (I still have all the road gear and its NEVER been dropped :wink: ) alongside my track only Gixxer. The honda is a sihtload of fun. Never had a prob with parts, e.g rebuilds, spare undertail, spare rims ect.. and once you own one its amazing how easy it is to find plenty cheap spares. Its also a much better bike than the RGV ( and I'm a big suzuki fan) but not near the standards of the Aprillia RS, and if you really want a 250 go'er go find an RS honda :wink: