Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda NSR 150 SP (New Rider)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by anarklov3r, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Hey guys!

Just got my bike learner permit yesterday, and had so much doing it! Don't know why I've waited so long to do it!

Times come to choose myself a bike, and I'm having a hard time deciding what I should get.

Been looking at the Honda NSR150SP, 150cc two-stroke bike that from what I've heard, is an amazing little bike, and cheap. Only thing is that I've heard mixed signals about the maintenance of these types of bikes. True, Two strokes not having a dedicated lubrication system would require more work, but is it really that bad? I've heard they will need rebuilds every 100 hours or so of operation, which seems pretty crazy!

Also, having to mix oil with fuel seems like a bit of a hassle, but I've also heard that there is a oil tank under the seat that you top up, and just add fuel (the accuracy of this is unknown as I've been unable to confirm)

Or after all this, it it worth me spending a bit more on an older, less attractive 4 stroke bike (250cc) that will apparently be slower, heavier and less nimble and forgiving... Or stick with a two-stroke?

I'll be using it locally for the first two months or so until I'm comfortable with it, then will be a weekender up to the country and quiet roads up north-east.

Any suggestions for a noobie would be great!

2. Two strokes are a different breed, their power band is generally narrow so you need to keep the revs up to make them work well. That can also be something to be very careful of in the wet. Modern two strokes will have a separate oil tank and will handle the fuel mixing automatically so you just need to remember to to check the oil when you refuel. A 150 is a small bike though so you if you are a larger person you may find it underpowered. However two strokes are generating power every second stroke of the piston rather than every 4th stroke so designers can generally get more power out of a smaller engine. This bike generates about 39hp and 2.75kg-m of torque against about 30Hp and 2.2kg-m of torque for a VTR250 four stroke. So it is a bit of a pocket rocket, should be LAMS approved but check in your jurisdiction.

3. What type of riding do you want to do? sports? touring? town? daily commuter? track days?

I still have cbr250rr & have done all of the above riding (over 20,000km)with only the following regular maintenances (done mostly by myself), it has NEVER failed me:

oil changes, coolant levels, tyre pressures, chain clean & lube, change consumables, replace fork oil

I had an RG250, lots more character & sometimes even more fun than the cbr but you can add the following additional maintenance:

regular carb balance & tune, fill oil tank, clean spark plugs, replace spark plugs, remove heads & decarb, remove exhaust & decarb, replace regulator / rectifier, etc,etc

honestly unless your a GP bike track day / twisty's enthusiast & good with the tools i'd stick with a well known 4x stroke until you can upgrade

in saying that i wouldn't mind a 2 stroke for track days & something to work on, they are also a lot lighter & easyer to flick around, but after you owned a big bike a 4 stroke 250 will feel like a bicycle as well

4. Might I suggest you post this in 'New Riders' section instead where you'll get a much better response and help. As for my 2c, get something fairly forgiving for errors and something cheap. Good chance you'll drop it. Look at cb250's, cb400, cbr's, or just about any of the common LAMS bikes. Avoid 2-strokes for learning, in my opinion.

5. To my knowledge "modern" auto-mix 2-strokes arrived about 40+ years ago. I was brought up on strokers (early 80s, overseas), last ones I rode were RGV250M, then TZR250SP. Modern ones like the water-cooled NSR150 shd last you easily 30k km + before you need to lift the head for an overhaul.

But defo, a 4stroke will provide you with longer term hassle-free riding.

6. Hello anarklov3r and welcome.

The NSR is said to be a great little bike, but it's probably not a great little beginner-bike. It's a serious race replica, and despite the small engine, it's very quick. It's also quite demanding to ride, and perhaps maintain.

I would strongly urge you to consider the same bikes in the other order. Start with the less 'attractive' 4 stroke, a cheaper 2nd hand version preferably, and when you outgrow that (which I'm confident you will) perhaps look at a 2nd hand 2 stroke. You should be able to pick one of those up fairly cheap. If you still like that after 3 months, then consider the NSR.

"Heavier and less nimble" does not equal less forgiving. One of the all-time great beginner bikes is the GS500, which is not a small bike, not particularly nimble or quick steering, but has beautiful stability and road-holding, and seems to be a tremendously confidence inspiring platform for the newer rider. They're perhaps less well suited to a person who's very small and light, (say below 5'4" or 50kg) but otherwise they're perfect.

7. Theres a guy on here that just bought a NSR150 so he can tell you all about it, lemontree i think his name is, you'll find his posts in the bike reviews section.

As for 2 strokes, they have all their power in the high revs so you get a big boost in power once you hit the powerband. Fun, but it's annoying trying to keep the bike in the right rev range.

If you want a fun bike get a 4 cylinder 250 like a CBR250rr, ZXR250 or FZR250.

8. Well im about 6'1" and weigh in at 78kg or so.
    I've been looking at the Kawa ZZR250, around a 1995 model. They seem to be alright from what i've read and seen, and can pick a few up needing a few touch ups fairly cheap. Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll definitely be givin the NSR150 a miss!

9. If you want a ZZR also look at the GPX250 which is the same bike with different fairings (and a different frame I think?)

10. Yeah, the ZZR250 is another great learner bike. I don't know, but I think the GPX is a later generation of engine and frame. I haven't ridden one, but the ZZR feels like a much bigger bike - ie., it feels stable and planted and supple and very confidence inspiring.

Look, the NSR is a great thing - it's just not quite suitable for a beginner rider.

At 6'1" and 80kg, a ZZR or similar might be a little bit ... little for you. Not at first, but pretty soon. Don't spend a lot on a 250. Have it for just a little while and look to upgrade to (let's say) a GS500 or a CB400 or something mid-sized in a few months.

11. They were produced at the same time I think, the ZZR is longer wheelbase and has the same engine. I think it's sort of like the calais to the GPX's commodore.

I've ridden a few ZZR's and I don't mind them at all.

I own a ZXR250, I love it. It's hard to recommend these inline four grey imports though because so many are clapped out duds.

A honda spada 250 would always be a safe choice, cheap and you'll make your money back when you sell it. Cheap enough to sell while you're still on LAMS too.