Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda GS400/500 - are grey imports bad?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by MeltingDOg, Sep 7, 2012.

1. *Sorry- typo in the title I meant GB400/500

I am thinking about getting a Honda GB400 or 500. I've heard these are are grey imports. I have also been told to steer clear of gray imports.

Has anyone had any experience with these bikes?

2. Haven't had experience with those particular bikes (though I do like the look of them) - but do certainly have experience with grey imports.

If you're not mechanically inclined then I'd steer well clear. Although they may look all shiny and new when you start looking closer you're likely to find that either:
    a) It has vastly more kms than the odometer suggests and/or
    b) A lot of parts have perished, rusted or otherwise suffered as a result of sitting around doing very little for over two decades (not to mention the effect pollution and sea air in Japan has on bikes).

Worth noting though that the GB500 was sold here officially in limited numbers, so not all of them will be grey imports. Should also make it easier to find parts, assuming of course you don't mind paying Honda OEM prices (which are typically obscenely high).

Edit: If you're looking for that sort of bike the Yamaha SR400 is a better option. Many are still grey imports, but in a lot of cases are at least a lot younger than the Honda GB.