Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda Grom 125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by q1w2e3r4, Sep 2, 2013.

1. I used forum search and Google search and couldnt find a thread for this bike ...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/117/16915/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Honda-Grom-125-First-Ride.aspx
    If I go for a supersport down the track and these are say $4k or less Id consider one for a local runabout.

But currently my triple is a complete breeze (183kgs/low seat/upright) so I cant imagine bothering with this even for a run to the shops (let alone 5km plus commute).

2. it would use less fuel be cheaper to register and insure you may not even bother with comprehensive, cheaper to maintain, and a lot of fun to ride.

3. i'm all for new supermoto style bikes coming out BUT WHY....why release a four stroke 125 - it'd be so much better as a 2 stroker

4. No 2 strokes because tight emissions in lots of markets. But yeah 125 cc would be hell. Maybe 250 would be enough on this if they could keep the weight to 100kg or whatever.

5. It is sold as Grom in USA but in most markets it is known as MSX125. And in Australia, it isn't even known if it will be imported here - but most recent word from Honda was NO. Though that could always change, perhaps 5 years down the track.

6. If you want a tiddly bike with balloon tyres and a Cubalike engine, you could always buy one of these. Sub 2 grand and Australian complianced. Or you could have a 250 but lose the Cub engine.

7. Honda have stated the grom is being reviewed for he 2014 line up, so it may only be a few months before we know if the bike makes it to Australia.

8. #8 RacingTurtles, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    No, thanks. Large part of Grom's appeal is that it is a Honda, not some fly-by-night Chinese special. Sure, Grom is not going to be made in Japan either (Thailand, I think?) but at least it has Honda's backing behind it. Also, it is likely a much better bike. American reviews I've read all mention how despite its small posture it actually offers quite normal riding position for a normal American tester. It will also do 100km/hr if pushed and be perfectly stable up to about 90 - I doubt very much this T-Rex could claim the same.

9. Hmmm, looks a lot like a modern and bigger version of the old Z50J, but without some of the useful features of the old Z.

Back in the days I was working, not only could I ride the Z into the heart of Sydney just as quickly as a big bike, but I could take it, in the lift, upto my office on the tenth floor and hide it behind a desk.

It was also good for collecting or delivering cars from here to yonder, where you could hoist the 50 kilo bike into the boot or back seat area.

Attached Files:

• b1.
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      100 KB
      Views:
    • b1.
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      100 KB
      Views:
  10. Sorry about that, I stuffed up the piccies.....:(

Here is the other side view... (I hope!)

Attached Files:

• b2.
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
  11. The grom is 100kgs I think ... with similar seat height to a ninja 250 or cbr 250.

The Yamaha rzf r125 is about 127kg and by all reports is a slow pain in the ass to get around on if not dangerous.

I dont see the sense in the grom other than its light and cheap enough to use as a second bike if your main bike is a supersport (and you dont want a scooter).

But then I guess the madass 125 has been around for a while, is about 100kgs, and never really took off in a big way.

12. I ride a 125 scoot 5 days a week just the 4km to work and to the shops and stuff it will easily keep pace with a small hatch backup to about 80km and can get up to 100 on the flat or down hill.

in 60-70 zones it is more than capable.

I don't know what you mean by dangerous, but you do have to ride a little differently, you have to think about when you are going to pull into traffic, you need to ride assertively and dominantly to fend off wankers.

I will filter to the front of traffic and as long as i am ready to launch the minute the lights change i can pull away from most traffic.

13. GASP! ...and hasn't your dick shriveled up and dropped off yet? ;)

Again, GASP! ...having to think about what you are doing when riding?
    It'll never catch on.

14. Yeah, Madass is probably the closest match for this bike. I don't know about it not taking off, I don't know where you live, but in Sydney you see them quite often. It wouldn't make much sense in the country of course but here? Where I live, if you draw a circle with the radius of about 20km and my house at the centre, it would not include a single road with a speed limit higher than 80, but it would include all destinations I'd need (or want) to visit in the course of my normal day. Truth is, for 90% of my riding small bike is not only sufficient, it is actually the best tool for the job. Which is why my 'stable' includes a bike and a scooter: bike is what I want, but scooter is what I need.